Problems with 1756-L61 and v20.11

agarb

This post is an FYI regarding an issue we disovered in Logix v20.11 that may affect others. To date, I have found no tech note in Rockwell's knowledge base.

We shipped a 3 identical lines of equipment each with a 1756-L61 processor about a year ago. The equipment sat for some time before installation and the processors were stolen from the racks. Customer bought new processors and we flashed them with v20.11 and re-downloaded the programs.

Then we started getting major non-recoverable faults, type 01, code 60 several times per day per processor. Program would be completely lost from memory. We finally rolled back a previous version of the firmware (originally processors shipped with v17) and all the issues disappeared.

After duplicating this issue in my lab and working with Rockwell tech support on this issue, here is there latest response, "I don't believe you need to send us anything further at this time. Engineering was able to create the fault. We have to let Engineering figure out where the problem is."

It seems there is some sort of incompatibility between my .acd project file and v20.11. Not sure if v20.12 or processors other than the -L61 are affected. But if you are having issues similar to this, roll back to a previous version before wasting too much time on it!

Preliminary (!) feedback from Rockwell. I was using module reconfigure instructions to change analog scaling set from the HMI.

--------------------

Dear xxxx:

I have to stress, that the investigation by Engineering
is not yet completed. But, it appears, at this point,
that the module reconfigure messages are causing the
problem (they should not be causing a fault).

Engineering has been testing your project in V19
and the fault has not occurred. This doesn't mean
that it won't.

So, at this point, it appears to be a problem in the
V20.11 firmware, and related to the module reconfigure
messages. We will not know this for absolutely sure until
Engineering finishes the investigation. If this does turn
out to be an anomaly in the V20.11 firmware, this would
require another firmware release to correct the issue.
If a new firmware release is required, I cannot say
when that might occur. It would not be in a few weeks.

I believe you would not experience the faults if you removed
the module reconfigure messages, if that is an option.

I will provide more information with progress on this
issue as it develops.