Logix5000 Resetting Values

Daniel_LeRoy

Lifetime Supporting Member
We use Logix5000 for our machine we manufacture. Sometimes I get a program from the field that someone saved while being online. Now all the values are saved for every bit. A couple of times I have had to go through and manually set every value to zero. Is there an easy way to reset all the values? ?

:site:

Depending on how they're organized, you can do this with some logic (if you can load this program into a "dummy" controller).

COP and FLL instructions come to mind for clearing groups of data. I have done this a timer or two in a PLC, just add a rung to FLL the file with zero or COP 0 to a bunch of words, then test the edit, untest it, then delete the edit, save the file, go back offline...

I think there may be a way to manipulate a file offline to change that data. Doing this offline may require exporting as a certain file type. With RSLogix5000 I have no experience modifying the export files offline, so others would have to fill in the details I am missing.

Reset the values to what? If the program was save while online, what's wrong with the values?

I know you said that you get the program's back from the field and you need to reset all the values well is it possible you have a spare CPU to load the program into and use code to zero that or is the program too small to warrant spending time dong that and you are looking for a way to do this with an offline file?

If you are going to use it in a processor and use code to execute this then I think maybe a FAL instruction could be used but I'm sure someone could confirm that.

Blimey 3 people replied whilst writing my reply, he may need the values to be zero so that if he loads it into a new processor to replace one then it starts off in a correct stage in a sequence etc

robw53- Thats right. I need the machine to start in the right spot, and if certain bits are latched then it will think that certain functions have already taken place.

I do have extra processors here in the shop, take for example lastnight, I was at home and a machine needs to be altered so they e-mailed me the program and I didn't have a processor and/or the powersupply set up to do what I needed to do.

widelto- I'll try the CLR instruction. I have multiple multiple arrays of bits that I need to reset. I'm not fimaliar with a startup program, maybe Ill have to have a startup routine clear all the bits.

I was thinking of tool in Logix that I could do offline though.

Thanks for your reply guys. I was hoping for a simple solution. I guess I will buckle down and write some logic.

OkiePC- I've tried exporting the tags, but the values aren't exported.. so I can't change them.

jkerekes- Some of the bits are on, for example I have an array of BOOLs, [300] and about every other one is 1. When the machine starts up sometime is assumes certain things have been done, for example on the machine we have a loading mechanism when its loaded I latch in a bit, if they save it online then it thinks its already loaded.

Still no easy solution?

bce123 - Yea... thats what have ended up doing in the past.

!Rockwell hear me out! Can't you add a button on a toolbar!! Please?!

Maybe a stupid question but when the machine has been cycle stopped does it stop in a place where all your values are 0 that need to be? The reason I ask is that when the person is saving the file could he not stop the machine before he saves it, or if he goes online with a processor if he has the offline program with all zero's when he saves the online file why not just say no to updating the tag values. Maybe this isn't possible for what your goal is.

Yes, that is right.
The problem is, they might not be able to stop the machine when they upload the file, also after I make my changes I might need to send the new program to a different location with a different machine (they might need the improvements also).

Sometimes I get a file in my e-mail and it is a done deal, I have to deal with it in the shape that its in. I guess I'm going to put a reset rung in the beginning of the program so its not an issue anymore.

If anyone knew a simple solution it would have been you guys. Thx again.

Last edited:
what changes are you making? why are they sending you the file do you not have the original? could you just modify your copy and send out the updates?

lol I think what your getting at is our bad organization. I have a copy of the orginal orginal, but then for that model, timers and such have been changed in the field.

If they have a problem in the field that they can't easily solve then they contact me. Lets say they need a couple new rungs with outputs turning on for some new system they are communicating with.... etc

I could modify the original, but it could take them days to get the timers readjusted how they like them. So they send me the current copy they are running, and I modify it and save it.

Our system is flawed and my PLC organization is limited at best. I'm constantly learning more.... hence "alwaysastudent". Like I didn't realize that it was a good idea to never use BOOL array's, untill today. very interesting.

But now all the machines going out will have some kind of startup routine... I think I'm going to go the S:FS route. I'm still working on it, as of right now.

I find it a good practice to use my job # as the start of the program title as well as the prints PO#s etc. it helps me keep track of things. as I am the boss this should work very well. If only I would practice what I preach. LOL