Accessing Ethernet/IP over the Internet

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have this little machine that I setup using Ethernet/IP network.
Everything works great and it is running along fine. (y)
I can go online using RSLogix and monitor everything.
Here is what it currently looks like:

Laptop (RsLinx Network) 192.168.1.1

1783-US05T Stratix 2000 Switch (unmanaged switch)
1766-L32AWAA, MicroLogix 1400 192.168.1.2
2097-V33PR3 Kinetix 300 AX1 192.168.1.5
2097-V33PR6 Kinetix 300 AX2 192.168.1.6
AB 2711C-T4T 4" Color TFT 192.168.1.7

Now I want to remotely connect to the network, so that I can monitor/make changes from afar, like from home.
Do I need to setup a Virtual Private Network? (VPN)
Do I need a better version of RSLinx?
I have RSLinx Classic Revision 2.59.00 CPR 9 SR 5
Do you typically set up security with the VPN?

Thanks for any advice.

MacComms.jpg

The quick answer is "yes, you need a router with VPN features".

The longer answer depends on "what's between you and the network" ?

If you have a corporate network connecting it to the Internet, you're going to have to work with their IT department. If there's a nearby DSL or cable Internet connection that you control, you can select a router and plug it in. If you need wireless or cellular connectivity, that's a different challenge.

To get ahead, I'll also add this: I don't use "192.168.0.x" or "192.168.1.x" for my automation networks because many home or small office networks use that range, and I can't be connected to both the office network and a VPN that uses the same range. I usually use "192.168.3.x" or some other number in the third octet. It's still an ordinary Class C private network.

As Ken said stay away from the quasi home ranges. I stay far away and use 10.x.x.x as this is still private and is not common in homes or IT lans depending and is very flexible.

You may want to look at tiofino firewalls as theya re very secure and do back tunneling which makes it easier to setup a connection to the outside and have VPN built in. Spectrum makes a good product also called the webport with similar features. I use both and are din rail mounts for setups like you have.

I like the webport for the tak 2 m easy connectivity but the tofino firewall for the security it brings to the table and the tofine vpn makes a second way in on this type of setup.

I used the IP addresses from the Sample code "K300/ML1400 Ethernet/IP External Reference Program Example"
I did recognize that as the number from my old home wireless router.

Today I changed the Ip address to the Local group numbers (192.168.3.x), and it works great.(y) Thanks Ken

My IT guy is going to setup a separate LAN and VPN so that I can log in and access the information from anywhere.
I think he wants to use 10.x.x.x like Kid says.
Cool stuff.
:site:

SampleCode.jpg

There is an other option available. If you have an office computer with your automation software installed that is always on, you can use a product such as Teamviewer to remotely control your office computer from home. It a free solution and only takes a few minute to setup.

Ok, so I plan on setting up this network.
Computer A is on 192.168.xx.xx
Computer B is on another network 10.xx.xx.xx
I can VPN directly to Computer B.
As far as I can figure, I need to have a copy of RSLogix 500 on that computer B in order to communicate with the Micrologix 1400 on that Network.
Correct?

Comms.jpg

The scenario you describe sounds like you will be using VNC or remote desktop to control Computer B which will connect to the PLC via local network.

However if you are able to connect via VPN directly to the modem/router in Network B then you should be able to connect to/program the PLC straight from Computer A.

Yes I can make the connection by using Remote desktop, but no RSLogix.
What I think I need to do is connect through a VPN,to the router there, so that my local machine here changes it's IP address to match the range what the PLC is on.
I guess I have to go back to the IT guy.
He starts speaking Klingon, and I get all confused.