TIA Portal and S7 5.5

sportster

If I open a project with TIA Portal, will I still be able to open it with Step 7 5.5? I'm very new to Siemens. We have the TIA Portal software, but our contractors are using Step 7 5.5. Also, what is the difference between the two?

Thanks!

No
They are completely different
You can convert a step7 project to Tia portal-under certain conditions
But you can't go from Tia portal back to step7

Find out what hardware and option packages your vendors are using
In step7. Ie.... Drive es, Pdiag, cfc. Whatever

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply.

Why can a project only be converted under certain conditions? These conditions aren't processor specific are they?

The old CPU's Like the s7300 2af03 . Generally the ones using the big old style memory cards. Not the mmc
What CPUs do you have in the plant?

JRW,

Processors we have here are CPU315F-2 PN/DP, 512Kb. About 20 installed. All controlling motor MCC's with G120 drives and Simicodes on Profibus.

Just got to the office an found that we do have Step7 5.5. (Again, I'm still new to the software). Should be stay with 5.5 or migrate to the TIA Portal?

Personally I'm staying with 5.5 for now. Siemens will be strong-arming everyone to convert to Portal over the next year or two I think (a great money-making exercise if you ask me). However, 5.5 will be supported for the next 10 years and Portal is still a bit 'buggy' and 'unpolished' in my opinion.

I'm planning on looking at starting the transferring process in a year or two (certainly not through choice though!).

However, 5.5 will be supported for the next 10 years

do you think that does also include updates for new hardware/firmware? wouldn't they come with a trick you "have" to go to TIA to use that new piece of hardware?

If you go to TIA, you will also have to have Advanced Safety to support the F processors.
You cannot use TIA with any hardware built before 2007 (roughly).