Adding an AENT com module

bigbuckaroo

I have an existing Contrologix system with a L61 processor. There are already 3 Flex I/O nodes using an AENT. I have to add 2 more to the project for some upcoming process expansion. I have read that these modules need to be added to the offline project and then downloaded to the processor. I have no issues with this and am trying to schedule a time with the production gods to give their blessings to do so. My question is this: Does it make sense to add 1 or 2 more AENT modules to the program and leave them inhibited for now? I see a need in the near future ( 1 or 2 months) where I might have to add some more remote I/O and if I can put these in the processor now it would save me from having to go through the problem of finding the time to do it. Does anyone have any comments, concerns, or suggestions with this idea? Thanks

Correct, you cannot add a 1794-AENT module online.

Correct, you can add your AENT modules and inhibit them until they are needed, this just avoids the I/O Not Responding Status, and corresponding error warning triangles in the I/O Configuration.

In my experience, pre-configuring I/O connections seldom works.

In every project I've tried to do that, the final quantity, type, or revision of modules was different enough that the connection needed to be re-defined anyhow.

It can't hurt, but unless you have the I/O modules ready to install (or can put them in, but not wire them up), you're almost certainly going to have to schedule downtime later anyhow.

In my experience, pre-configuring I/O connections seldom works.

In every project I've tried to do that, the final quantity, type, or revision of modules was different enough that the connection needed to be re-defined anyhow.

It can't hurt, but unless you have the I/O modules ready to install (or can put them in, but not wire them up), you're almost certainly going to have to schedule downtime later anyhow.

Yes I am trying to think ahead about what could possibly be needed and plan now. This processor controls our batching process as well as some CIP (clean in place) functions and becasue of recent process expansion downtime is very hard to come by to do this type of stuff. As it is I will be coming back into work on third shift tonight to take care of the current changes. Before then I must give it some serious thought as to what will be added in the future to see if it is worth the effort or just wait and let the whole thing take its natural course. Daba and Ken thanks for the responses.