Copy FactoryTalk Touch Program

PaulyT

I have an Allen Bradley Factory Talk touch program that currently works. I want to use the same program for another machine with a new processor and touch but rename both.

I used the application mgr in factory talk to copy and rename the program allowing the new name to reflect my new customer. I also deleted and added a new connection shortcut name. I did the same for the processor name using Logix 5000.

All the tags from the original program were generated through online look-up and have retained the path to the old processor via the old shortcut name. When I try to connect online with the new processor via the newly named shortcut it does not see any newly added tags in the processor.

Is there a way, am I missing a step of changing all the paths (shortcut names) of all old touch tags so they reflect the new path/shortcut name) and name of the new processor?

Example of tag as shown when trying to change the name of a current push button by updating online: {(OldProcessor/shortcut name)tag_name}. What I would like is to have the OLDProcessor/shortcutName change, reflect and connect to the new processor so all the old tags now communicate with the new processor via the new shortcut. Again, is there any way to change all the names of all the paths (shortcut names) so they reflect the new name of the processor?

hope its not over-explained
Thanks
PaulyT

I think you'll have to re-address all the Direct References on each Display.

This should be fairly straightforward using the Tag Substitution feature.

Open a display, press Control-A to select All object, then Control-R to bring up the Tag Substitution window.

Search for [OldShortcutName], replace with [NewShortcutName].

If the project uses RSView database tags, you'll probably have to Export, modify in CSV format, then Import.

Thanks Ken. Its appreciated. The substitute method worked great and I got all shortcut names changed. I did however have to change the recipe ingredients one at a time. Substitute didn't work. However, I still have an issue.

After all was done, to test I added an output to the new processor. I expected to be able to use that new tag for a touch display. After adding the new display to the touch and clicking on the display tag browser online and "refreshing all folders" the new tag didn't appear in the list.

Have I got the touch communications right? Is there something I missed or have I caused a problem? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

PaulyT

The Tag Browser could be such an easy, smooth, well-integrated part of FactoryTalk View.

But it's not. It's balky, cryptic, feature-poor, and unreliable.

Reboot a couple of times and sprinkle salt around the terminal, counter-clockwise, humming Estonian square-dancing melodies. It can't hurt, and a little square-dancing always cheers me up.

The Tag Browser could be such an easy, smooth, well-integrated part of FactoryTalk View.

But it's not. It's balky, cryptic, feature-poor, and unreliable.

Reboot a couple of times and sprinkle salt around the terminal, counter-clockwise, humming Estonian square-dancing melodies. It can't hurt, and a little square-dancing always cheers me up.
Ken its great tips like this that separates the novices from the real Pro's I bow to your great wisdom!

What, no link to the KB article for this one??? :ROFLMAO:

Copy FactoryTalk Toch Program

Thanks Ken and all!!!

I followed all's advice and it seems holding your mouth in that funny manner, along with all the other "real pro" suggestions, has gotten me through!

It was appreciated!!!! :p

PaulyT