Issue connectin to S5 with Field PG

hannaby

Job i'm on wants me to look at some issues in one of their s5 PLC's.

I don't have Step5 on my PC so I'm using their Field PG M2 which has Step5 installed.
Problem is they dont have the correct cable to go into the standard COM1 25 pin TTY port on the back of the PG.
What they have is a 6ES5-734-1BD20 cable which is RC/RS 232 15pin male to 25pin female with TTY built in, obviously the 25 pin needs to be male to go direct to the PG port.
It seems what they have is a 25 pin male to 9 pin female connector which they hook up on the end of the previously mentioned cable.

I've been told this has previously worked so the only way I can presume they have had this setup is by using the 25pin to 9 pin converter plug that comes with the Field PG's.

So i've hooked up the 2 cables into the PG with the port converter but when I try to make an online connection I get nothing.
I looked in my hardware config and the COM port was setup as COM2. I chnaged the project settings in step5 to try and went online and I now get an error of SYSTEM MESSAGE 0334.
Looked this up on Siemens website and followed the instruction on changing data rates but i still get the same error.
All I can presume is that step5 needs to have the project running from COM1:STANDARD.

I've now changed the COM port setting in HArdware config so it is assigned as COM1 but when I then try the S5 I get no connection through COM1.
Out of interest I changed the project setup back to COM2 and it was still trying to connect through that and getting the 0334 error.

ANy ones got any ideas how to force the TTY port on the PG back to COM1 or any other way to resolve this?

Cheers

What they have is a 6ES5-734-1BD20 cable which is RC/RS 232 15pin male to 25pin female with TTY built in, obviously the 25 pin needs to be male to go direct to the PG port.
I repeat, "cable with TTY built in".
That, you don't need. Those ports on the FieldPG are ready to go for S5 and S7. I'm not sure right now what cable you need exactly, but it's a simple cable for sure, no TTY converter stuff involved, that's build in.

the cable with TTY converter goes into a "normal" COM port. maybe that's the way they used it? I'm not even sure right now the fieldPG actually _has_ a normal COM port...

grtz

Yeah I get that the TTY cable is not required with Field PG but unfortunately that is they only cable they have and its a rig in the middle of the north sea so I can just pop out to buy a 2BD20 cable.

You are correct in saying the Field PG does not have a normal COM port but it should be able to replicate one at the COM1 v.24/TTY port on the back of the PG by using the 'Serial Port Adaptor D9/25' that comes with the field PG.

Issue i'm having is that when I'm trying to do this it the PG seems to think the COM1 port is actually COM2 for some reason.

If I can get the port back to a COM1 then it should be ok to use the cable setup they have on here

never seen that serial port adapter, so I don't know how/if that works. Did you look at windows hardware configuration to know which actual COM ports are active? I think Step5 should have no problem with COM2, but it does not work above COM4

You need cable 6ES5734–2BD20; can't you fabricate the cable yourself? https://a248.e.akamai.net/cache.automation.siemens.com/dnl/jc0ODk4OQAA_217863_FAQ/e_7xxagu.pdf

btw manual says it also is COM1 with the adapter, and the adapter should be on the fieldPG not the end of a cable.
http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.automation.siemens.com%2FWW%2Fllisapi.dll%2Fcsfetch%2F27002273%2FBA_FieldPGM2_enu_en-US.pdf%3Ffunc%3Dcslib.csFetch%26nodeid%3D27002280%26forcedownload%3Dtrue&ei=QaFEUJ3CEOaa1AXh3YCoCQ&usg=AFQjCNFW9RdJ5rP8cFB1-Z6a02a1s0EjIw

happy hacking...

Last edited:
If the Field PG has an integral TTY port depends on the type of Field PG. I dont think that the newest Field PGs have an integral TTY port.

The old PG720 for example, has a 25-pin port with an integral TTY converter (looks like a parallel-port, but it is NOT). The cable for this port is 6ES5734-2BF00.

If you have a newer PG and the 6ES5-734-1BD20 cable (25 pin / 15-pin), then yes you need a 25-pin / 9-pin adapter. It is a cludge to look at, but it works.
So it seems you have the correct hardware.

Try to check the serial port by some other means.
Check in Windows Control Panel what COM port is assigned to the serial port.
Check that no other software blocks the serial port (RSLinx for example).

You are correct in saying the Field PG does not have a normal COM port but it should be able to replicate one at the COM1 v.24/TTY port on the back of the PG by using the 'Serial Port Adaptor D9/25' that comes with the field PG.
Wait ...
Is there a port on the Field PG labelled "v.24/TTY", and is it a 25-pin port ?
If so, then it is the same port as on the PG720. And you need the cable I mentioned before.

If there is ALSO a regular serial port (9-pin male), then you can use the cable with adapter + the 9/25-pin adapter mentioned before.