SLC 500 and an AB 160 SSC VFD

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. Another first for me. I have attached a project of a system that is in operation. It has an Allen-Bradley 160 SSC VFD that is used by a crane to traverse from one tank to another. The control for the crane are on Ladder 2, beginning at rung 21, near as I can tell. What I need to know is this: How exactly does the PLC control the drive? I'm not able to connect my laptop to the PLC and run the crane, because of the dangers in the room. I can only do it with production stopped and that doesn't happen very often here. Otherwise I would just operate it and watch the ladder. The operators pushbutton is connected to a 1746-IA16 input module and the outputs go to 1746-OW16 module. It is a 5/04 CPU. I'm not concerned about the lift/drop inputs and outputs, only the traversing control. The wiring for the VFD from the output module is, O:5/0= Forward, /1= Reverse, /2= Travel SW1 (low speed), /3= Travel SW2 (medium speed), /4= Stop, /5= SW3 (jog). Any help you could be, as always, greatly appreciated.

You need more info. How do you command the carne?
Can you list the inputs for the commands?
Is there a drawing?
Pendant control

I:4/0= Forward, /1= Reverse, /5= Bath occupied, /6= Emergency Forward Stop, /7= Emergency Forward Slow, /8= Emergency Reverse slow, /9= Emergency Reverse stop, /10= Forward slow, /11= on station, /12= Reverse slow, /15= base position

Drawing for VFD or for the hardwiring of my input and output module?

The PLC reads the input data table (including the hoist pendant PBs configured inputs I:4/0, /1, /2, /3, /4, /5, /6, /7, /8, /9, /11, /13, /14), executes the ladder logic and then fills the output data table with the results of the scanned logic.
Outputs O:5/0, /1, /2, /3, /4, /5, /8, /9, /12, /13, /14, /15 are wired up to the VFDs corresponding/configured digital inputs, effectively controlling the operation of the device.

Last edited:
Attached is a drawing of the hard wiring between the output module and the VFD.

I see a couple of issues with your wiring diagram.
According to it, the VFD's 4-20 mA analog input terminal is wired up to a relay output passing the voltage carried by wire 38; the same for TB3 Terminal 1 (which is normally fed with 10 VDC by the drive's internal power supply).
If this is accurate, then the drive's control circuitry is most likely damaged.

Besides the above mentioned issues, LAD 2 of your RSLogix 500 application file answers the original question and your wiring diagram supports it 100%.

Search for every hoist function designated PLC output OTE (Slot 5 1746-OW16 Relay Output- O:5/x, y, z, ...) and the logic related to it will explain the programmed functionality.