OT: Does anyone here know C#? ... * Student Question *

mallorz

Hello...

I am in my second week of an online Beginning .NET class. We have an assignment that is supposed to simulate a basic payroll-type function. I am getting an error on one of my statements but am unsure why.

At the beginning of the program, I define two constants STATE_TAX and FED_TAX. I define them out as doubles because they are decimals (0.05, 0.15). When I call them out in a statement ( double fedTax = Convert.ToDouble(grossPay) * FED_TAX ) the program stops running and I get an error.

I've attached a screen shot of the message and also a .txt document of the code.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? They are all 'doubles' so I understand how "the input string was not in the correct format"

SchoolProgram.jpg

Attachments

• school.txt
    2 KB · Views: 16
I should add, try to ignore the unnecessary Console.ReadLines() and such. I forgot to delete them from having issues the other day! I'll touch up all the formatting when I get this thing figured out.

Oui. It appears you are right! That's what happens I guess when you stare at something too long.

Started this assignment on Sunday, it has 4 parts to it. Finished 1-2 on Sunday.. that was easy. Wrote 3 (this one) and then tested it Monday. Spent a few hours after work on Monday on it and just got frusterated beyond belief!

Thank you very much! I appreciate you taking the time to look at it.

I agree with Ken;

fedtax = grosspay*FED_TAX; (Think that's what your grosspay variable is, although can't see the pic that well).

For future reference, I'm fairly dangerous (re: competent but sometimes unsure) with C#. I you can PM me if need be.

Haha, thank you! I really appreciate that. I am so hard on myself that once I get to a certain point with a program it's like my brain shuts off. Sometimes it just takes fresh eyes to see the obvious :)