S7-1200 Expansion unit, DOR

Daye.04

hey all.

I've got a quick question for you. There are output expansion modules for the Siemens S7-1200 available. Some of them are transistor outputs, while others are relay output.

My question is as follows - how are those outputs built? Is the primary side of the relay from within the unit, providing 24/230 V out? Or it it like a relay's contacter, where you can connect both sides externally, and the PLC opens or closes the relay contactor based on the program?

Thanks, mates ^^

Many relay output cards have the contacts of the relay exposed to the field for wiring. You have to supply voltage to one side of the contact and wire your device to the other side of the contact.

Some manufacturers and models may have sections of relays that may share common voltages.

Do you have the full part number of your module, and you could look up the user manual for it and it would show you basic wiring examples.

yes, I would at least think so. But all i find is technical data sheets. And those contain nothing of the kind.
The type is SM 1222 8 X Relay Output ... Does anyone have any luck finding it?

yes, indeed. Now. From what I read, it's not entirely safe to use 230 V on it if the module's powered bby 24 V. Is that correct?

Oh, and thanks ^^

The module is "powered" from 24vdc at terminals L+ and M

Your 230v (ac at that voltage) goes to 1L for input to relay.
your 230vac common goes to the common of your device (just like the picture shows)

Yes, TurboUrpo. That was easy to find. However, the drawing of how to connect the relay contacts aren't present on that page, as far as I know.

Oh, yeah. Sorry, JRW. I had somehow completely forgotten that I read that. Sorry for the unnecessary question =P

Thanks again for the help ^^

Seems to me the drawing posted by JRW and the tech info from TurpoUrpo aren't consistent regarding the output grouping.

The drawing shows 2 groups, one with 3 relays, one with 5 relays. The tech info says 8 outputs in groups of 2 - which I interpret as 4 groups a 2 relays.

I recon the drawing is correct. ?

Kalle