FactoryTalk View ME - commas

whuff

I could use some help here, I am using FactoryTalk View ME 6.10 to make a version 5.10 panel. I am displaying values from a compactlogix L35 processor. The values being displayed are floating point. My boss, though, does not want decimals. Easy enough. BUT now wants comma's for values over 1000 (i.e. 1,000). Is there an easy way to format this? I am using a multistate indicator as I want to change the color based on the value (i.e. green between 0-100, 100-500 is yellow, over 500 red). Thanks in advance for any suggestions. So far, the only one is to convert everything to a string and format it that way but it will double the amount of time which we don't have.

BUT now wants comma's for values over 1000 (i.e. 1,000). Is there an easy way to format this?
No. Commas are a luxury, not a necessity for readibility. He is messing with your head. Tell him to go get a life!

No. Commas are a luxury, not a necessity for readibility. He is messing with your head. Tell him to go get a life!

:ROFLMAO: So says the retired man.

Seriously though, that is a pretty silly request. Since FTView doesn't have a built in function for this, the only option you have would be to convert the value to a string, parse into 3 digit groups, add commas, and concatenate the whole mess back together. A whole lot of work (and processor overhead!) for a purely superficial gain.

Tell your boss how you would do it. Try explaining to him how long it will take and how much it will slow down the processor. If he won't listen, what choice do you have?

Good luck to you.

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻