Scrolling through error msgs in Panelview

hd_coop

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey everybody,

I am an electrical engineering student with a coop job at a major american manufacturing company. I am currently working on a project where I will need to have any faults which are generated to 'scroll' continuously in 3 second intervals on a Panelview. I will only be a sophomore this fall and have had no formal classes, basically I have taught myself everything I know so far. I have come up with a way that would sort of work using timers only my problem is it would allow a 3 second timer for every msg instead of just the active ones. I am using an AB SLC/503 processor and Panelview 900 mono. Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated seeing as my boss is off this week so I am on my own.

Thanks,
Josh

Well, it sounds like you are half way there, if you have a method of making every msg scroll at a 3 sec. rate. Knowing what I know (from your description) All you should have to do is change your logic to scroll through the active ones......

Give a little better description of what you have so far.

Maybe attach a screen shot of your logic so far or attach the .rss file.

We will need a little more info to help you out! :)

Here is an example in RSLogix 5000.

This example uses FLT6[0] as the alarm input file. These alarms are addressed as bits. Alarm contition 1= FLT6[0].0, The message to be displayed is N6[1], this is an integer. This works with a "Message Display" panelview object. The final product is the integer location of the active bit from FLT6[0].0 I'm sure it is possible, but I have never used this with the built in Panelview alarms.
This scrolls all active alarms for 2 seconds. This might be a bit much if you dont have very many alarms. if you only have a couple words of alarms there would simpler ways to do this. The machine that uses this logic has A LOT of alarms.

Last edited:
Hi hd_coop,

Made some programs like that, with basic IOPs and PLCs without any indexed internal bits :

- Create a table with your defaults bits (64 bits = 64 defaults)
If a default is ON, some bits are ON in this table
- Create a shift register (same length = 64 bits), and load its first bit at first scan.
- Use a quick shift clock with some built-in time base (0.1s ?) At each clock pulse, increment an index value, until equal to 64, than reset and reload the register's first bit.

At each clock pulse, test (Default table) "AND" (Shift register). Test by words if your PLC can't manage long tables.
If Result<>0, momentary stop your clock pulse, and display the
message (current index value = fault message number) during 3 seconds or other needed delay, than continue until another active fault bit is encountered and so on.

Benefits : displays from one to xx fault messages with the same short program, only one timer for all defaults, easy to expand, your IOP can be used for other messages (you can add a function switching on/off the SearchDefault ladder).

I hope this helps