22-comm-e, loss of communication indicator

Ben Mattison

Hi, this is the first time using 22-comm-e modules with powerflex 40p.

My problem is, that when I lose connection (i.e remove ethernet cable to drive) I cant find anything that changes state. Is there a healthy bit/word that I can look at in the PLC.

The drive it self has the fault code. but i need to be able to stop other drives if I lose connection of any drives on the system. and be able to change the status page on the HMI.

When unplugging the ethernet the drive itself stops but the rest of the system and the HMI think its still running.

Thanks Ben

Unplugging the Ethernet cable changes how things are being communicated. If you are predicting that this may happen in the future then I would hard wire a input from the drive relay to your plc. Then set para# 55 to above cur,para#56 to7. I can't remember but I know I always set para# 58 and 61 to motor running. But I don't think you will need these. Now back to the comms. When setting up the drive in your plc program you should have selected major fault on controller if connection failed. Change the RPI to the time that you want to update data. This is in theconnection tab in contrologix programming. I use the drive relay because sometimes you can't fault plc without making things worse.

If i select major fault controller. that will shut down the whole system.

Basically I have 16 drives on a conveyor system. If drive 8 loses comms, I want Drives 9-16 to carry on running and drives 1-7 to stop.

The chances of unplugging the ethernet is unlickly, but loss of comms (fault 71) could be common.

I was wondering if there was a bit that is on when comms is healthy and off if loss of comms?

I would normally hard wire the drive, but customer has stated ethernet.

problem resolved.

I used a GSV (Get Status Value) to get a status code of the 22-comm-e module.

abit of faffing around and a few lines of code but problem is sorted now.

Thanks for help anyway.

Yes.

The Module Object and Entry Status attribute are the same no matter what sort of device is in the I/O tree. They're the same for the ControlLogix backplane, ControlNet, or EtherNet/IP.

I've used them with a wide variety of third party devices. You're querying a ControlLogix status object, so it doesn't really matter what the device is on the other end of the wire.