RL Data Station Plus to replace NET-ENI

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am installing a DSPLE000 to be used with an Allen-Bradley ML1500. I am connecting the DSP to the ML1500 using a CBLGEN01 and an Allen-Bradley 1761-CBL-PM02 cable. I am using the RS232 port on the DSP. I also have a G3 that I am connecting to an ethernet switch and DSP is also connected to the switch. I tried this configuration and I don’t think the DSP is communicating with the Micrologix through the RS232. I thought I could use the DSP as a replacement to the NET-ENI. At least that was the impression I was given by a Red Lion rep. I already have my tags in the G3 mapped to the ML1500 based on the IP address assigned in the NET-ENI. Guess I'm just not understanding how the DSP is supposed to work.

We've got a few G3 panels talking to Micrologix 1500s in our factory using the same cables you have, and the DSP is just a G3 with no screen (although I notice the DSPLE has a lot of the good stuff disabled)so I doubt the hardware between the DSP and the M1500 is the problem.
I'm surprised none of the Red lion gurus have jumped on this one, but here's what I'd do:
Step 1: Set the RS232 comms on the DSPLE to Allen Bradley/DF1 Master and add the Micrologix 1500. Create some test tags in the DSPLE and map them to the ML1500.
Step 2: Set up an OPClink between the DSPLE and the G3 panel over ethernet, see http://www.redlion.net/G3features/G3%20Feature%20-%20OPClink.html for more info.
Step 3: Map the the test tags between the DSPLE and G3 and prove the comms is working, then repeat the process for the tags that were originally in the G3.

There's probably other ways of doing it, but I've done a couple of machines with 2 Redlion products talking over the OPC link and they've both worked first time.

Are you trying to use it as a NET-ENI for programming or just to get it on a network?

The DSP will not do a blind serial to Ethernet conversion like the Net ENI module. You will need to program the DSP to pass the registers that you want to convert.

If you want the G3 to talk to the Micrologix through the DSP you will need to configure the DSP to transfer the registers. The G3 to DSP communication will be Modbus TCP and then the DSP to Micrologix will be DF1 Master protocol. You will then configure gateway blocks under the protocol to pass the data from the Modbus side to the DF1 side.

Here is a video on protocol conversion. http://www.redlion.net/Support/VirtualHelpDesk/WindowsMediaVideoPresentations/AB_To_MBSlave.wmv

Thanks
Jeremy