win 7 laptop to micro 1500 comm

oxlacey

Has anyone had any success with getting online with a Micrologix 1500 from a laptop running win 7 64bit and a USB DF1 (cat 1747-UIC)? If so, what settings? If not, what cabling/driver/etc. would I need to get online with this laptop/operating system?

(The Micro had a cable that plugged into a HMI, I disconnected the HMI and plugged it into the 1747-UIC, not sure if that was kosher or not)

Thanks for looking!

The 1747-UIC converts from DF1 running over USB to DH485 on either RS-232 or RS-485. That's its only function in life.

If the MicroLogix 1500 serial port is configured for DH485 protocol, then you can connect to it with the 1747-UIC and a serial cable.

If the MicroLogix 1500 serial port is configured for DF1 (the default protocol) then the 1747-UIC won't work. Instead, you need an ordinary USB/RS232 converter.

Whether or not you need a "null modem" adapter on the serial cable depends on what sort of HMI it was; A-B PanelViews use a "DCE" type port, while the 1747-UIC and ordinary RS-232 ports on PC's and USB/RS232 converters are generally "DTE" type ports.

DTE -> DTE needs a null-modem cable, while DTE->DCE needs a straight-through cable.

Tell us more about the HMI device and that might give us hints about the MicroLogix.

My *guess* is that you'll need a general-purpose USB/RS-232 converter. The Keyspan USA-HS19 is a Forum favorite.

Hi Ken:
I've got a comm problem also.
I have an AB Micrologix 1000 1761-L32BWA ser.E FRN1.0
using a cable combination of AB 1761-CBL-PM02, ser.C
attached to a serial to usb adapter & a usb2 to usb 1
RSlogix micro starter ver.8.40.00 software on HP laptop MS WIN XP
professional 2002 ser. pack3.
An error saying that 'I don't have correct driver installed'
not letting me communicate
any ideas?

Hi Ken:
I've got a comm problem also.
I have an AB Micrologix 1000 1761-L32BWA ser.E FRN1.0
using a cable combination of AB 1761-CBL-PM02, ser.C
attached to a serial to usb adapter & a usb2 to usb 1
RSlogix micro starter ver.8.40.00 software on HP laptop MS WIN XP
professional 2002 ser. pack3.
An error saying that 'I don't have correct driver installed'
not letting me communicate
any ideas?

What driver do you have installed? Do you have the offline file for your ML1000?

And what is a "usb2 to usb 1" ?

Last edited:
rslogix comm

Hi there:
I have no serial port on my HP, just usb.
I went into the controller properties, controller comm. all it's telling me is that the drvr is df1.
In the processor status tells me baud rate 9600.
my adapter is 9300-usb rev.3.0 no brand name, serial on one side,usb2 on the other.
A coworker on days had a guy ( service tech.) come out & got online, uploaded the program, but he didn't pay attention how, so the combination works.
thanks

Make sure you are using the com port in RSLinx that the USB to serial adapter has taken. Check device manager to verify.

What happens when you click on autoconfigure?