VMware Workstation 9.0

jkerekes

I just got an offer to ugrade to ver. 9.0. Looks like they added support for Windows 8, browser and iPad remote support and more security, encription support. Has anyone used this yet? Worth the $119 to upgrade?

They still have not worked out all the bugs in V8 yet. A lot of the new features are geared toward working with vsphere and making the transition from workstation to vsphere a lot smoother.

It's not going to hurt anyting to upgrade but IMO I don't think normally in this line of work that you would gain a lot from it and unless you have some serious virtualization needs and then IMO you need to be running vsphere on server class hardware anyways.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I'm sure that I don't use more than 50% of the features now. I just setup VMs to run Rockwell stuff under XP. What bugs do you have? Right now one of my VMs reboots and locks up when the host is put to sleep.

Personally I would like to upgrade to v9 (USB3.0 !!)just to play with some of the features, but so far I am just fine with v7. Although, I found that v7 had some issues with running Win8 as the host machine. But after finding a fix, I've had no further issues with v7.

The one thing I keep hoping they will add is the ability to boot a VM from a USB thumb drive. I use some DOS and Linux tools that I use on physical machines when they boot up, but I can't do the same with a VM.

OG

I use Workstation in part to create a virtual image that I deploy to physical machines. The ability to boot via USB would allow me to better document the re-imaging process for my users who use USB for deployment.

Thin App just virtualizes the application (which is a great feature) but not applicable for what I need.

But, I'm guessing that you, like me, really WANT Workstation 9.0

OG

We have upgraded to workstation 9.0 The ability to use USB3.0 helps with database backups. We have a decent ESXi setup, and the ability to move VMs to and from the host servers is also nice. The upgrade is worth it IMHO