PLC online

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
HI,
I want my PLC applications to permit remote hmi operation. For example, I have installations up and down the east coast of the US and would like to be able to monitor how they are doing using my computer browser or perhaps and iphone. I have not installed any real devices that have that capability, although I have played around with some in the office that work pretty well. For example, the C-More OIT has an iPhone app that lets me go online with it and use the OIT just as if I was on site. [Please don’t preach about the dangers of that action - they are obvious.]
We use (nearly exclusively) Allen Bradley PLCs. I am totally underwhelmed with the built in “browser” capability of those devices. On one group of PLCs, I have a advancedHMI PC. Other isolated equipment has PanelView and PanelView Plus OITs.

What have other people done about having online remote access so that they can help a customer troubleshoot a problem without sending a person to the site?

narlin

This is a very helpful answer that I received from an individual who is very savvy when it come to remote access:

I got your PM at ADC's form. I'll be happy to help as much as I can. We may want to move this conversation into the forum though so others can learn too.

There are at least a couple of options for connecting to a PLC remotely.*

One would be to port forward the necessary ports in the router so that when you're off-site and you attempt to connect to a PLC with an address of the router at the site the packets are forwarded into the LAN and to the PLC. This option is not very secure as anyone will be able to communicate with and alter the PLC, but its probably the cheapest and simplest. It only works for a single PLC though. You could do this and open up a port to the ECOM card in a PLC and have pretty much full control and ability to program the PLC as long as you get all the right ports opened up.

The way I would and do handle this is to use a router at the remote site that allows for VPN connections. Then on my computer I can establish a VPN connection with the remote site. Once that VPN connection is established it is like my computer is actually on the LAN at the remote site and I can communicate with, control, and program any of the PLCs or touch screens at the remote site.*

Over the years I've used a lot of different routers to accomplish this and many different VPN types (3 major VPN types are PPTP, L2TP, and IPsec). What I've found to be simplest to implement is the*CalAmp Vanguard 3000*acting as a PPTP VPN server. I set them up with Verizon 3G service and don't even have to mess with finding an ISP for the remote site or mess with the IT department at the remote site.

As for the Click PLC it has no way to communicate via Ethernet directly. In theory you can do a serial to Ethernet converter, then connect to a Click over that, but in practice I've never found the serial to Ethernet boxes to be worth the hassle. You're probably better off using a little better PLC that has an Ethernet option. I make extensive use of the DL06 and 205 platforms and can tell you the new*Do-more*PLC is also very easy to make all this work with.

I appreciate the reply. I looked at the CalAmp Vanguard 3000*acting as a PPTP VPN server and that is a real possibility. Do you know if the device comes with instructions for setting up that VPN?

Previously, we set up 1 VPM for a gigabyte network drive. It came with fairly explicit setup instructions and worked really well. Otherwise, my experience with these networks is limited. I have been able to configure routers to port forward but haven’t been able to build an independent VPN.

If my customers are willing to put in or share an internet connection (other than 3G wireless), is there any advantage to the wireless plan?

What have other people done about having online remote access so that they can help a customer troubleshoot a problem without sending a person to the site?
I have used Allen Bradley Remote Active Display to allow remote computer connection to RSView32 operator control panel.

BTalbot? Can you check that URL? Those stars are not working for me.

Lancie, I will look at the A-B product. Thanks.

narlin

I use logmein.com for this perpuse.
You first register in the site and open your account.
After that you can add computers to your account, for evry one you
need to download files and install them.
When this is doen you can enter to this computers from every were in the web .
The basic account is free of charge, and the Pro is for mony, it allow you to transfer files and more.
When you enter to your account computers you don't need permition.

I have used logmein previously for home computer access. It is the only time that an unknown person managed to remotely get control of my computer and install themselves as a USER. I don't think i will be using that product again, thankyou. In this case I would be looking for a product that offers at least the security of a VPN. Also, as far as i know, the logmein software works for PC's only. I suppose it might be the same for an OIT, but i would have to try it.

You might want to take a look at the Maple Systems (Weintek) HMI's.
They have both a built in VNC capability that allows direct access to the screens and also a remote server based system that only allows access to the data.
They are also a LOT less expensive than A-B HMI's.