Where to buy LM90-30 software

As the others have indicated, there is no need to purchase LM90-30 software. You can download it from the GE Fanuc support website.

The next question is, why LM90? It's an obselete, DOS-based package. You may be able to get it to run and to communicate with your PLC under the latest Microsoft operating systems, but you should expect problems.

If you are going to purchase anything, purchase Cimplicity Machine Edition Logic Developer PLC. Part number IC646MPS001, list price $800 US. You'll need a computer with at least a 500 mHz pentium-class CPU and 128 meg of RAM. (They recommend 1 GHz and 256 meg) If that's not available, then purchase VersaPro, part number IC641VPS300, list price $800 US. Note that the sales people are going to promote CME, and for good reason. It's the package that will be supported into the future. As new products are introduced, they will only be supported by CME. The only reason to buy any package other than CME is if you don't have enough computer to run it on.

When I did the 'Where to buy' thing on the GE website, Barbados wasn't a choice, but I entered 'Caribbean Islands' and got the following contact, which looks like the Miami sales office.

GE Industrial Systems
Telephone: 1-305-551-5177
Fax: 1-305-551-5129

Steve- one thing that I have run into is processor firmware not being supported by versa-pro. I am not sure if the processor can be field-upgraded. When it happend to me, I did not have time to figure it out. I just used LM.

Rick,

As I understand it, the issue of compatibility betwen VP and firmware revision level is this. Under certain conditions, VersaPro may cause older firmware versions to stop executing the program when you access the fault tables. There may be other issues, but this is potentially the most serious.

VersaPro can be set up to prevent you from downloading to a too-old firmware version (default setting), to warn you that you are trying to download to an older version, or to unconditionally permit you to download.

TDK,

I've always said that for some enterprising Master's candidate at the University of Virginia School of Management, there's a case study in how not to manage software just waiting to be written out on Highway 29.

LM90 was a fine piece of DOS software, but it was a horse that GE Fanuc tried to ride for too long, and then they mismangaed the transition to a Windows package. VersaPro was too little, too late. CME has the potential to be a very good package, but it is a resource hog.

Thanks all for your very prompt response.
The reason for wanting LM90-30 is to use it during a GE Fanuc PLC training course. We have several machines that use the GE Fanuc Series 90-30, and the program documentation available is for the LM90-30.

Thanks everyone again!

Trevor Headley
BARBADOS

Last edited:
The one that says DEMO, lm9030d.zip.

The demo version is fully-functional. However, the program size is limited
to 750 bytes for _MAIN and 750 bytes/program block.
RUNNING LM90 FROM A DISK THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN THE LM90 SOFTWARE
If you need to run LM90-30/20/Micro from a disk that does not contain the
software, you should setup the $PLCROOT environment variable in your
AUTOEXEC.BAT to point to the location of the LM90 software:

I am not positive what the 9.05 Special 1 and 2 do specifically besides fix a problem with downloading.

I switched to VersaPro so dont use much now.

Last edited:
Bernie,

I downloaded lm9030d.zip and installed it on a spare hard drive I had lying around.

It installs to a directory named LM90demo, and you launch it with a file called lm90demo.bat. A standard installation would be to a directory called LM90, and LM90.bat would launch it.

It's version 8.02. The last version level is 9.05 The service packs for v9.05 on the GE Fanuc support website won't work with the demo v8.02. They require you to be at v9.05 to work properly.

The highest level CPU that you can configure with version 8.02 is a CPU352. CPUs 360, 363, 364, and 374 hadn't been released when v8.02 was current. There are probably a few other modules that won't be supported. I didn't dig any deeper than the CPUs.

As far as program size is concerned, I was able to open folders with _MAIN blocks in excess of 2 Kbytes. I was also able to communicate with a 90-30.

I seem to remember from back in the days when I was selling that product line that if renamed the directory LM90 and then went in and edited a couple of the DOS files to modify any references to the LM90DEMO directory to read LM90, you could get around any restrictions on the size of files that could be saved. I can't remember any more details.

At some point, you have to ask yourself if 'free' software it worth the time it takes to use it.

As always, your results may vary. A small number of users have experienced flu-like symptoms, dry mouth, fatigue, and sexual side effects. See your distributor if you have any of these symptoms.