Plc error for fluidbed furnace

ssembo

This morning we had a problem with our Fluid Bed Furnace, It started with the flames going off and only to realize the temperatures
on the screen were not changing value and yet the ones at the OMRON limit were dropping. We switched the panel on and off and the screen
brought a massage ‘PLC is in ERROR’ On opening the panel, the PLC was indicating error with the red light blinking and the panel was indicating
low air flow. We switched on the E-stop switch and we managed to start for 2 hours and the problem come back.

We have observed that the gas for all 3 zones went off. All the pilots were on while the PLC was showing an error & the touch screen had freezed.

Attached are the screen and PLC shots.

What could be the problem?

Colin Kuteesa

furnace picture 001.jpg furnace picture 002.jpg furnace picture 003.jpg furnace picture 004.jpg furnace picture 005.jpg

>It started with the flames going off

Most systems built to codes (particularly with burners bigger than 400,000 BTU), there are usually burner/flame safety controls that are independent of the PLC.

The burner/flame safety is supposed to shut down the fuel supply should the burner flame disappear, in order to prevent a build-up and subsequent ignition and explosion of unburned fuel.

If the shutdown sequence started with the flames going off, then I would investigate flame safety controls, usually consisting a a controller box with inputs from a flame detector, fuel pressure switch, and an output running to fuel safety shut-off valve(s).