RSLINX 2.59.02 Big Problem

BMLLER6758

Hallo Guys

I tried to install RSLINX 2.59.02, so far so good.

I started the insatllation yesterday evening and it still runs !!

The EDS Installation is at 69 Percent yet. Is that normal ?

I guess not. I allready disable Norton.

Has somebody an idea ???

Regards

Bernd

Just let it run.

Some Windows 7 users have reported extremely long installation times for the EDS Registration process of RSLinx Classic 2.59.

It certainly doesn't happen every time (it took about five minutes for me) but it does happen. Let it run.

It's not just Windows 7. Took about 3.5 hours on my XP machine.

RSNetworx was even worse. I selected the optional installation of RSNetworx for ControlNet, DeviceNet and EthernetIP, while I was installing Logix 5000 v20. I figured it couldn't hurt. 4 hours later and it wasn't even done with the EDS for ControlNet and I knew I'd made a terrible mistake. I left the thing going overnight, and it finally finished about 7 the next morning, 16 hours later. Good times :eek:

That's interesting, though, that it goes so fast for some users. Wonder what the deal is. I just figured the EDS sheets were just really dense chunks of configuration data for every possible device under the sun, and therefore took forever to copy to the registry... o_O

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻

I just upgraded to version 11 of all 3 Networx products. I have them in 2 different VM's.
It took well OVER 16 HOURS for Networx for DeviceNet to install. Started at 7:30 am yesterday and it finished overnight sometime after 11:00 PM! This was on a VM exposed to all 8 threads of an I7 with 4gb of ram assigned to it on a RAID 0 drive array!

This is TOTALLY ridiculous. I see similar times on Networx for CNET. Only shorter because of fewer devices.

I upgraded from version 10 to 11. I do not believe that there are that many differences between the eds libraries?

There is a LOT of room for improvement in this process.

I too found myself less than satisfied.

RSL

I retry it yesterday evening. I started at 22:00 and now RSLinx is at 58 Percent !! It is 17:57.

So its 19 Hours yet !!!

I will leave it go to the end.

I hope it works.

That's unbelievable! Did you try calling RA at any point during the 27 hour marathon? I'd be curious what their explanation might be...

Well, don't even try RSNetworx. You won't get your PC back for weeks :ROFLMAO:

For what it's worth, Linx 2.59 has worked really well for me since I installed it.

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻

I have noticed the same thing on XP machines that I've been updated recently. I started one Friday afternoon before Labor Day and it wasn't done until noon on Tuesday. That was for the whole package, Logix 5k, Networkx, and Linx, but still... Ridiculous!

Same thing here installing RS5000 V20 It took a couple of days installing on an XP VM.

I did find one nice benifit of using the VM however. I made a backup before the install, and I could hibernate the VM, and still use my computer or the backup if need be... Power up the VM and resume the install.

If I was at RA Technical Support, I would be begging each of you to run Belarc Advisor and send me summaries of your computer OS and other software.

It seems obvious to me that there are some common Windows configurations that cause the EDS Registration feature to take an exceptionally long time. Unless those also occur inside RA's development and testing environment, they're not going to be able to fix the problem.

I know EDS registration was slow the last time I installed RSLinx Classic, but it was a matter of going to lunch while it installed; an order of magnitude faster than what's been reported here.

the story goes on...

I tried to install the latest "complete Update" RSLogix 5000 Version 20.01 with RSNetworx. Download from Ab.com

It was a Laptop from Dell Windows XP SP3 no Anti Virus installed.

The complete Installation took me 49 Hours !!

I called Rockwell Support. Today the guy called me back, he has the same problem. (God thanx)

What I am wondering is, that there is nothing in the knowledgebase about that issue.

best regards an have a lot of fun

Bernd

I talk to Rockwell today, the record installation time for 20.01 complete package is 62 (sixtytwo) !! Hours so far.

They are working on a solution. They test it with XP SP3 and Windows 7.

It look like that the most problems comes updating 20.00 to 20.01.

I can confirm that. Last week I try to update from 19.01 to 20.01, it took me 3 Hours.

regards

Bernd

For me it was simply an RSLinx upgrade from 2.59 to 2.59.02 on a co-workers machine. I wasn't upgrading any other software and it was probably 4-5 hours. I did the initial install and it was probably 30 minutes to install Logix v20 and RSLinx 2.59. I don't recall it taking anywhere near as long on my own VM.

OG

Last edited:
I skip all eds file installations when upgrading...saves a ton of time...I heard there's a patch lolly-pop or something like that that repairs the emulator in the latest bleeding edge version of RSLinx, but I am sticking with 2.57 until 2.six or seven comes out...I worry about new eds files as I find the need, and the latest few times this has happened with a drive or something, I have used the built in links to find them successfully.