Devicenet 1747-SDN (SLC500 platform)

yasirkhi

Hi There,

I am learning to prepare backup devicenet scanner card, just in case working one get damage. Scanner is set on 00 node.

Currently systems has devices:
Festso drive 02nos
Lumberg 16 inputs 0930DSL701 06 nos.

I have a *.dnt file, rsnetworx and 1770-KFD driver. Everything communicates and work fine. I also downloaded the eds files to register the devices. It is difficult to have machine for an hour if I am not sure. Also If installed card got issue and machine is down, It will be heavy pressure.

Is it possible that I could program on seperate PLC? I have setup seperate PLC and tried. But somehow It doesn't show devices, I was succuessful downloading scanner list and IO configuration on devicenet scanner but the devices information.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
You should be able to create a backup of the scanner module using a bench set up. The scanner must not be in run mode. In RSNetworx, you just download the scanlist to the scanner. If you are using the ADR feature, I think you need to take separate steps to ensure that the saved information is stored in the scanner. I am not 100% sure without the software in front of me.

The scanner will need to be accessed through the backplane to do this, or you would have to supply a devicenet network and other means to access the scanner.

It should only take a couple of minutes to test this backup scanner, and if something goes wrong, swap back to the known good one.

I have one system with two large networks and we sometimes have to power cycle all the nodes following any changes. All will appear fine, then drives will not respond to run commands, but report no faults or stop owners. We have made it a practice to power cycle all those sensitive drives after we make changes to the network.

I would recommend having checked the power supply voltage at all nodes and have your RSNetworx station running and ready in the rare event that you need to download the scanlist to the spare or original unit.

We use the 1788-EN2DN modules for quick uploading/downloading to nodes on the network. Using the pass through driver via the SLC is not recommended for large networks and will be very slow. Accessing the devicenet network with a PC based card or network bridge aside from the 1747 backplane is strongly advised.

I prepared 4 slot PLC, and installed one processor and one devicenet just to download the program. Scannerlist has been downloaded but I could not be able to download the devices.

Using 1770-KFD driver.

I prepared 4 slot PLC, and installed one processor and one devicenet just to download the program. Scannerlist has been downloaded but I could not be able to download the devices.

Using 1770-KFD driver.

IF the devices are not there, then no you cannot download them. If the scanlist was successfully donwnoadedo_O, the scanner should be showing errors for devices missing from the network. This is a good sign, it probably means that scanner is ready to go as a back up. If you do not have an actual devicenet network node and power supply, then you may only see a "bus off" error. You should be able to view the data and put the scanner in run mode in the test SLC, and then see the contents of the scanner status in the SLC. I recommend testing the devicenet electrialy (at least one other node and pwier supply). mst pt bttries in kbrd

If you chose the option (working from memory) to download the entire network, then you would fail on devices not physically connected.

You should be able to (using the graph view) drill into the properties of the Scanner in RSNeworx (while online) and be prompted to just download the scanner, perhaps from within the properties tab.

The scanlist is everything that the scanner needs to know about how to connect to the devices and map them for the SLC CPU.

Now if you are using ADR, then there's a whole 'nuther area of discussion and research.

Hope this is accurate and helpful.

Last edited:
Thank you so much okiepc. You guys are Great.

So you are saying I can't download the configuration of devices until I am online and all the device connected to the network.I will try this tomorrow.
I was able to get the eds file for third party devices and registered.

If I have the dnt file already, I will open it in rsnetworx then link to devicenet and try to download the file. Normally It does download but I did not registered the devices before. Now I did registered. Please tell me If I am doing this wrong.

Please have a look at the dnt file I uploaded in starting of this thread, if something wrong with it.

Thanks.

Stop.

Read this carefully. This is the single most important thing you need to know about RSNetworx for DeviceNet.

Uploading from a device transfers the parameter values in the device into the RSNetworx project file.

Downloading to a device transfers the parameter values from the RSNetworx file into the device.

If you are trying to "back up" a running system, you must Upload from the devices, preferably into a newly-created project file.

Read the results window at the bottom of the RSNetworx software screen carefully; it will tell you every time you sucessfully or unsucessfully perform one of these functions.