Use a PC as a PLC Panel

timk

Is there a windows app that will let me use a pc as a Display panel on a click pc.

I am using a AD Click PLC with analog ports.

Thanks

The WinPLC starter kit is not an HMI package. It is merely a programming package for the WinPLC.

You need a package that supports MODBUS RTU. Citect, Wonderware, Indusoft, etc. There are plenty of them out there. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

There is actually a way to do it FREE that should work.
You can download the development software from Weintec for their touchscreens. It has an "online simulation" mode which allows you to connect their development system to a PLC over an RS-232 port. You would need to develop a touchscreen application and "test" it using the simulation.

There are, or were, touch-screen monitors. Haven't used one in years so can't say about current availability or technology.

We use PCs with touchscreen monitors on all our lines. It works very will because the operator can control the line and do all their production logs all in one place. We also use the 2nd monitor output to make production data displayed on large TVs at each line.

However, we use Allen-Bradley exclusively, so i cannot offer any suggestions as to what software for you to use.

Does Archie's Free HMI support Modbus?
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=2813778

I also highly recommend Atlas monitors from Automation Direct. Their serial and USB touch/mouse drivers seem to work with all OS to date. We had some incompatibility between a DigiConnetPort Display module and the VGA input on our older $4000 stainless XYcom monitors after they obsoleted the version with a serial port and went USB, the new style from xycomm would flicker at a random but irritating frequency and duration...not subliminal messages or anything, just go black mometarily, but only when connected to the Digi device. it worked fine connected to any PC or laptop we tried. We repeated this problem with moultiple monitors and multiple Digi's. The Digi works with every other monitor except the new Xycomm, so neither Digi engineers nor the guys at Xycomm could explain, or need bother to help us solve it.

The vga signals measured perfect and refresh rate tweaks seemed to make it only worse...

So we phased out the old and phased in the cheap. I was able to buy new Hoffman doors and prep the whole thing, only had to pull hte pin and swap enclosure doors when we change them over. I think that big stainless door was only around $100 with the hinge, but fit perfectly on the existing hinge half.

I need to order another one of those doors for the next xycomm failure. It takes too long to enlarge the opening when one dies unexpectedly in the middle of the day....this only happens once every few years...the xycomms were solid machine, no doubt.

The 17" from A/D is 1/3 the price, although not stainless. The black anodized bezels hold up nice though, so far, over a year now on the 1st one.

Last edited: