Lauer BCD verses Hex + S7 300 crash

kevbloke

Guys, I have an issue that i dont understand and am hoping that someone has an idea.
I have a Lauer PCS950C HMI communicating with a Siemens 315-2DP CPU. The machine is a labeller putting plastic labels on a PET bottle.I am trying to adjust a cam setting (glue roller in)this is normally done on the HMI but this hasnt worked in a long while i have been informed. My boss said that my predecesor pluged in to the PLC and changed things to adjust cams!
The value i want to adjust if things were normal is a value of 150 on the HMI. The HMI is sending this to DB50 in BCD form. The value in DB50 however is prefixed W#16#150. I thought this was a Hex number. When i modified the value to something else the plc crashed and told me that it is looking for a BCD number in Accu1.The next step in the program is the value from DB50 gets processed as below:-
L DB50.DBW450
BTI
L 1000
*I
T DB11.DBD 0

DB11 then has it a DINT L#225000.(what does the L# mean?)
The cam card is a FM352 if this helps

Any help much appreciated please.

Kev

If DB50.DBW450 contains W#16#150 = 336 decimal, then DB11.DBD0 will contain 150000 as shown below:

bti.JPG

Thanks for your help guys.
Why does the plc crash when i alter the hex number? I would have thought it would carry on with the maths in the FC

Kev

BCD codes each 4 bits as a decimal digit, hence only the numbers 0..9 can occupy the four bits. If A..F occupy the 4 bits, this is not a valid BCD number and hence the plc exception.

Can you explain why you have 225000 in DB11.DBD0 as this implies you have W#16#225 in DB50.DBW450, not the W#16#150 you state?

Last edited:
Can you explain why you have 225000 in DB11.DBD0 as this implies you have W#16#225 in DB50.DBW450, not the W#16#150 you state?[/quote]

That was my bad, i was looking at the wrong line in the DB.

What i have found out is that the values are changing with the HMI but the cam itself isnt updating. I dont think the values are being written to the cam controller. When my boss said my predecessor plugged into the plc to change the cams i think he meant the actual FM352 card if this is possible.

Thanks for your help chaps