One selected recipe(?) at a time

rhino

Hello all!

I hope this hasn't been answered already, I wasn't sure what to call it in the search.
I have to program a PLC controlled vision based detection system of labels on a product. There are 7 different sizes and 9 countries to select from. The operator needs to be able to select any combination of these, but only one size and country at a time. Depending on their selection the camera must move up down/in out for focus and output to change the camera program.

PLC is a FC5A Idec with a HG4G HMI. I tried to use 2 data registers, one for label and one for size. Then each button on the HMI wrote a different number into these data registers.
The idea was to compare the information in these registers to constant values and depending on which one matched, a certain internal relay would be set (one for each country and size).

The problem I'm having is with my data being changed from PLC to HMI. In the HMI I asked for D0000 (of the host) to be moved to D0001. (host)
D0000 was 10, but when it came back from the HMI it was either 65,xxx if WORD type was selected or -4064 if I chose INT.
The HMI will let me address to bit level D0000-00 but the PLC won't accept this. It only allows for D0000.

Anyone know a simple fix or have a better idea for controlling this?

Thankyou very much!

In the HMI I asked for D0000 (of the host) to be moved to D0001. (host). D0000 was 10, but when it came back from the HMI it was either 65,xxx if WORD type was selected or -4064 if I chose INT.
It seems that your data is being translated from one numbering system to another. For example, your HMI may be displaying 10, and that could be a octal, hexadecimal, or binary number. Then you MOVE command may be moving the number as a decimal (mistranslating). Every instruction has to be working with the SAME data type so that you get consistent results.

Hi Lancie1,

Thanks for the reply! I went looking tonight while at work to see if your idea worked, however my HMI software gives no option to change the data type.
It also gives no reference to the data type it uses.
I think I will have to find another solution. I'm running out of time on this project.

Regards Rhino.

See this link for a demonstration on how to set the data type in the Idec WindO/I-NV2 software for the HG4G HMI.

Step 3 selects Display Type of Decimal or Hexadecimal numbers.
Step 4 selects Data Type of 8 to 10 number types including Binary and Floating Point numbers of different sizes.
Step 5 sets the number of digits
Step 6 selects Target type
Step 7 selects target Device Type
Step 8 View Tab selects Format of the number display.

http://us.idec.com/productdocuments/english/TutorialVideos/WindOINV2Software/3.%20How%20to%20Configure%20Parts/6.%20Configure%20a%20Numerical%20Display/Configure%20a%20Numerical%20Display_demo.htm

Do you have some other software than the WindO/I-NV2?

Last edited: