stand alone drive with encoder

sweetjohnny

i am looking for a stand alone freq drive with encoder, preferably allen-bradley. What i am trying to accomplish is reading the speed of another conveyor via an encoder and tell the freq drive (another conveyor) how fast to go. anyone done this before, if so what did you use?

As far as i know I´ve never seen an encoder used as an input to control speed of a drive. You can try using a frequency/voltage converter (encoder as a frequency generator) and use dc voltage as input to control speed of another drive. Even easier try using dc output from one drive as speed control for the other drive.

Last edited:
Can be done - However you will have to use the more expensive drive (eg powerflex 700 not a powerflex 40)
a large number of drives have a frequency input - this is a high speed pulse that is used by the drive to determine its reference speed

Better is to use a drive that has an encoder option - this encoder can be used as the reference speed for that drive.

Eg pf750

Or you can use something like this with very cheap drives:
http://usdigital.com/products/etach2