Panelview Plus subliminal message

A customer has a very unusual request. Once every few minutes or so, they want the Panelview to display a message for just a single frame. The messages are pretty harmless, so I don't have any moral objections to making this work, if I can get it to work. "Don't steal from the company" and "I make excellent wages" are two examples of messages they want flashed for one frame. What is the frame rate/refresh rate of a Panelview Plus 1000? 15, 30, 60 times a second? I tried using Panelview internal timers to diplay the messages, but sometimes the effect is quite noticeable (definitely not subliminal) and other times I don't notice anything (maybe it is working, but my brain doesn't consciously perceive it). Has anybody tried this?

That's pretty crazy, but I would do it for fun. Give the manager a password to edit the text. In the copy you give them, make the default text "Have a nice day!". Make them retentive internal string tags and give the boss the keys to the text.

I think you can set the update rate of each display object (right click on the background IIRC).

You may be able to call it as a pop-up and have a macro that runs every refresh to close the pop-up. I don't know about the speed of the PV+ or it's controllability.

If it were in Crimson, the On Tick property of the page could open the display as a pop-up and increment or randomize the message pointer. The OnUpdate action could close the pop-up. With a G310, or G315 in the emulator, I get up to 100 refreshes per second on a G3 in overdrive mode, but as few as 14 when I have 40 animated fill objects flying around and tons of logic running, along with 42 fixed position rectangular tank fills and a hundred or so displayed tag values.

I'd go with RussB's suggestion.

I'm pretty certain that purposely-engineered subliminal messages of any sort were made illegal in the UK, as it was cited that they could make someone act against their own free will...

I'll see if I can find more info...

found this....Subliminal messages illegal in UK and AUS...

http://www.umich.edu/~onebook/pages/frames/legalF.html

Last edited:
Hello,

If I had a customer that wanted to deploy such a technology, unknown to the user, it indicates to me I need to find a new and better customer.

Honestly, yes, I would not leave that logic and walk away with it doing that on a real machine...but the challenge would make me try it.

In the Crimson 3 emulator on Enhanced update mode, with 40 tags displayed and a conditionaly visible object showing the string tag contents, with only one update rate (25 frames per second probably 40 on real hardware), with two update rate passes keeping it visible, it is notieceable every time. Of course I chose a pink big text...maybe a grey scale would help, but I have it flashing on every second, and off after one update, it is never visible to my brain. two update periods turned on and I see it every time. I was once told that 16 fps was the average persons max eye through brain processing speed, if you could do something in less than 1/16th of a second, you could become a magician... ;)

I expect it is also impossible for my windows PC to fully update the emulator in sync...have to try it on a G310 tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hello,

If I had a customer that wanted to deploy such a technology, unknown to the user, it indicates to me I need to find a new and better customer.

+1

If they are so openly comfortable manipulating their employees, how ethical do you imagine they will be in dealing with you?

Besides, the PV+ is the wrong vehicle for this. I promise you, no matter how well you think you have it working, the terminal will begin to lag at some point, and the "subterfuge" will be exposed. I wouldn't want to be onsite with my laptop when an operator discovers a frozen subliminal message!

Cheers,
Dustin

Forget the messages.... Your customer is obviously so heavy into pseudoscience and woo, you would do better to charge him a LOT of money to provide him safe places to be for the end of the world this December. Just make up a map of some local caves near water supplies, and sell that to him for $$$.

On requests like that, I'd just turn down the contract.

What would you think/do if you discovered that your company/spouse did this to the computer that you used every day? I would not like it one bit!

there was a big uproar several years back in regards to this subject and the movie theaters. these type messages were outlawed in regards to movies. i think it was all inclusive.

i agree with RussB, check with a lawyer. it may cost you several hunderd now, or several thousand later. if you do it, i would insist on your customer putting his request in writing detailing exactly what he wants. that will help keep you in the clear should something be said about it. if he refuses, then something it up.

regards,
james

Too bad this is an old thread. But here's my thought.

You could play their game. Put a password protected screen that lets the boss enter the text of the message, make it pretty and even put in a "test" button that lets the message display in order to check the formatting, etc.

Here's the trick. Don't do any of the subliminal part. How would they know that the message isn't coming up on the screen, it's too fast to see.

Ken