Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thecog

I got a problem. I have been an aviation electrician for 30 years. I was laid off from Boeing in April of 2003. During my interviews for new jobs, they keep asking me about PLC's. I know what they are i guess, but what am i supposed to tell them about PLC's and about Allen Bradley SLC500 series PLC's in particular. Anybody know a good web site i can check these darn things out? Anyhelp will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Dave

The Cog,

I like you username!

Anyway you can start by clicking on "learn PLCs" at the top of this page. This will give you some real basic stuff. The AB guys here will surly post their favorite links soon. But a well written PLC manual can be found here . This is not Allen Bradly, but they are good manuals for beginners to get the basics down.

Good luck,

Mike

Dave

Sorry about your situation; I was laid off from General Dynamics 12 years ago, the same week I closed on my new home.

Tell your prospective employer the truth since it's ultimately gonna come out anyway. BUT, dig into as much research as you can, including this site, and soak up as much as you can. I initially got into PLCs because an employer gave me a chance to learn, not because I already knew how to work with them. Learning with a seasoned programmer was the best way for me to learn and maybe you can have the same good fortune.

Good luck.

As an adjunct, or until you can lay hands on a PLC manual, track down a basic book on computers/electronics. What you're looking for specifically is numbering systems (binary, octal, hex, BCD), digital logic, and boolean algebra. A knowledge of these things will smooth the way into the PLC world.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I am up on everything else like that. Been an electronics tech for most of that time also. I know how they work, know systems, troubleshooting and all, just short on vernacular, and lingo is basiclly it. Thanks

as for user name, seemed logical from my last name. Glad you liked it. I intend to tell all prospective employers the truth. I got nothing to hide and am proud of my background, and am damn good at troublewshooting, especially hardware. Just lite on the software side. I have checked out the tutorial on this site and learned a lot of the buzz words, thanks for that too. well, got an interview to get ready for. Thanks

HI COG
THE FIRST THING I WOULD DO IS LEARN THE # SYSTEMS.GO TO ACCESSORYS
THEN CALCULATOR THEN VIEW CHOOSE SCIENTIFIC.YOU WILL SEE HEX DEC OCT & BIN.LEARN WHAT A BIT, BITE , WORD , DWORD AND SO ON IS. THEN WHEN YOU GET YOUR PLC BOOKS YOU`LL UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY`RE TALKING ABOUT.
THE MORE YOU KNOW ABOUT # SYSTEMS THE EASYER IT WILL BE TO LEARN.
GOOD LUCK !

My 2 cents worth is just a tiny bit of personal experience. I also started out working on PLC's because no one else wanted to bother and the subcontractor who did our installation folded up. Obviously if you are already comfortable with the numbering format conversions (e.g. binary to hexadecimal and vice versa) you should have your basics covered. The ONE thing that took my a while to figure out though, is (ok don't laugh now) what BCD (binary coded digits) stands for!

Aside from reading through the books already mentioned by others here, the only good way to learn is to get your hands on one and do some programming. All vendors have introduction courses, which is a start if you don't mind paying. If you are a familiar with basic programming you should be able to adapt quite quickly. There are just too many behaviours particular to vendor systems (e.g. how one PLC handle the scanning cycle of looking at the IO's, apply the logics, and update the IO's) and/or real scenarios (e.g. noise problems or bad cabling) it would really be impossible to sufficiently tell you.

I'm also an Allen-Bradley SLC5/05 user, and virtually all my basic understanding were from the basic troubleshooting course I went through with Rockwell/AB. To sum it up, at least for RSLogix (AB's SLC/PLC programming language), it's just like programming in logical sequence with symbols, and/or designing circuits (e.g. what ahppens when relay switch "A" closes). In some cases the key word is actually "logical sequence", e.g. if you have 2 rungs both showing a condition when output X should be turned ON, the LAST (or latest, bottom-most) rung has dominance. So e.g. if your rung-10 logic is telling X to turn ON, but rung-11 is telling X to stay OFF, X will stay OFF. In fact when you look at the run states, rung-10 will look to be faulty as all the logic conditions are met but the output will not turn ON. Things like that sometimes can catch people out. There are ways around this, but you have to know first how the codes will behave first to design around them. :cool:

Another lesson that I spent days to pick up o_O is that you could program in a loop even though logically it doesn't appear to be one: the key is that PLC programs run in cycles, and sometimes (depend on coding) IO/memory registers doesn't update to the new state until the cycle finishes. So if you want to say put in a handshake, e.g. wait for Input W, do something, send an acknowledge bit and then try to turn W back off for the next occasion, you will find that it won't work because when you are waiting to read in the scan cycle, within the same scan cycle you can't write to the same bit. It makes sense when you think about it, but not that obvious until you get into a real situation.

It's usually things like THESE that get you and the experience of knowing how to deal with these sets a PLC programmer apart from someone only needing to maintain them. But it's more fun to program them 🔨

Hope I haven't bored everyone with my half-baked newbie "pointers". If anyone sees any mistakes I made in my examples please point it out too! If you would like more details just let me know.

p.s. in case this hasn't been pointed out, aside from the forum here there is also the very informative "Learn PLCs" button on top of this site (just above and to the left of the "PLC.NET" logo). I usually miss these kinda things so ...

Last edited:
One thing worth mentioning, BCD is binary coded decimal.

You can use the most usefull program that comes with windows, the calculator. Select scientific and you can punch in hex, decimal, binary or octal, then click on another type and the calculator will convert it for you. Beats the heck out of using conversion charts.

The other thing that helps with binary addressing is break your word into groups of 4 bits. The least significant bit represents 1, the second bit 2, the third bit 4 and the most significant bit 4. If all on, 8+4+2+1=15, F in hex. It is really quite easy.

The other thing to be carefull of is the IEC word types. UINT is unsigned integer, INT is signed integer, UDINT is unsigned double integer (32 bits), ULINT is unsigned long integer (64 bits), BOOL is a digital type bit only etc.

Different brands of PLC allow multiple outputs off a rung. With some brands you cannot have a contact between the result end of the line and the multiple outputs. Some brands allow multiple outputs with further multiple contacts, timers and all sorts of things between the result end of the line and the multiple outputs. Most usefull.

All brands handle things differently, have software that is easier or more difficult to use, PLCs that can be programmed on line, some off line only. Basically, they are all different.

Once again, good luck with your search.
beerchug

Job

Almost hate to open a new post for just this. But could someone actually tell me how to find /look for PLC jobs.( i have given up my hopes on those big job portals)

COG: your topic for this thread was most apt for what i am thinking..HELP!!!!!!..or soon it will be HELL-P

thecog,

In Australia we have technical colleges called TAFEs i dont know if you guys have anything similar over there. These TAFEs run courses on basic intermediate and advanced PLC (most of the ones here use AB SLC500 or Micrologix). They charge about $1 an hour and to do all three courses is about 100 hours. While they are not vendor courses they get you to do the common tasks, roller door, traffic lights etc.

It may be worth looking into.

Andrew

The cog

I would suggest you to get AB ML-1000 and programming cabel the software for ML is free.
You can find a lot of info about AB over here.
Play with the PLC learn how it work and you will be the most close
to SLC500.
If you will spend enough time for that you will get more then a clue about PLCs and AB.

I wish you luck

All the best

Hey thecog,
You might be interested in this URL http://www.thelearningpit.com/ it is loaded with PLC simulator and learning tools. It has one there that is freeware that isn't real fancy but it does give you the basics of programming without having to go out and buy hardware and software. If you haven't already purchased other setups, give this a try. Good Luck...nothing like the thrill of a program running as intended...!
waggs