SLC500/FLEX I/O to Compactlogix/FLEX I/O

DHoward

Hi - I am currently working on a system and would like to use a compactlogix L35E processor in the main PLC enclosure and control Flex I/O in two or three remote RTU's. I did a system like this with SLC505, scanner module to Flex I/O over to remote I/O adapters. The processor will also be on a network with a SCADA system. Can I just connect directly through this same network to the Flex I/O and what adapter modules are necessary in the remote RTU'S? Appreciate any advice. Thanks

You need the Flex I/O modules to be controlled by a Compactlogix which is replacing the 5/05? Or does the 5/05 stay put and just need to share I/O infomration with a Compactlogix to be added?

You can replace the Flex adapters with 1794-AENT or 1794-AENTR modules and replace your blue hose with Cat5E and managed switches or "embedded switch technology" enabled devices.

That would be the best leap forward eliminating the SLC in my opinion. Then you can add the modules into the I/O tree of the Compactlogix.

If you are also reusing SLC 1746 series I/O, check out the "1747-AENTR". Finally, SLC i/o on Ethernet I/P!
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/migrat-pp004_-en-e.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply - Yes the SLC500 is gone. Compactlogix at the main PLC enclosure and then media converters to fiber out to the RTU's, back to ethernet to Flex I/O. Can the SCADA system (just one I/O server) be on the same LAN?

I guess i didnt explain the SCADA part well. -- Proficy ifix running on a 2003 server box. The machine runs an OPC server (AB's IGS) and iFIX an OPC client driver to poll the field.

In general: Yes, you can run both I/O and ordinary SCADA communications on the same Ethernet network.

Ideally, you'll have managed switches to help monitor the utilization and quality of the important I/O cables.

With the advent of "unicast" I/O connections on EtherNet/IP, managed switches are not as important in keeping the I/O traffic away from the SCADA and enterprise traffic. They're still important for diagnostics.

Any modern (v17+) CompactLogix and 1794-AENT should support Unicast connections. They became the default method in v19, I think.