Modicon PC-E984-258 prog software

dwilson

I've been press-ganged into helping someone get an older Modicon system operational. They are NOT programmers.

The machine has sat idle (unpowered) long enough for the battery to peg out, so the program is lost. I have impressed upon the owners that rewriting the program from scratch will be time-consuming, and expensive (I'm not doing it for free), but if some correspondence in the documentation pile is any indication, the machine is 10-11 yrs stale, and the original builder is not likely to be on speaking terms with the current owners (lotsa bugs and back-billing demands for lost time, emails, etc.). There's a Magelis-Telemec HMI that seems operational (PLC is brain-dead, lotsa red 'x's, so can't be sure).

Anyway, I'm wondering what the path of least resistance is for basic upload-download-editing on this puppy is.

I see some discussion of ProWorx 32, ProWorxNxT, and a package from Fast-track. Schneider's website is not the most helpful on this.

P.S. This is likely a one-off for me. I haven't crossed paths with Modicon equipment since the early 90's. The outfit with the equipment is not big enough to have a maintenance dept.

Any thoughts?

/dw

Having used both Nxt and FasTrak's software, both will work and will do the job. I am not for sure if you can still buy Nxt from schneider.

I would say the only difference between the two will be which ever one you can get for the most reasonable price. you might also need a communications adapter, depending on which kind of port is available on the 984. Either a modbus, or the modbus plus port.

Assuming the HMI is a Magelis XBTF series, you should be able to upload the HMI configuration from it, which will at least help you get things back to the right place. As far as the 258 CPU goes, you could program it in 984 ladder logic in ProWorx NxT, ProWorx 32, or the Fast-Track package. You can also program it in IEC using Concept. All of the Compact stuff (which this is) is end of life, so perhaps a better answer would be for them to move to something a little newer.

That's my feeling as well. I likely should have kept my mouth shut/shrugged and said, "I dunno..." but...

I think there was some misrepresentation when this machine changed hands, and now somebody's looking for a way to get it running on the cheap.

I seriously doubt they're going to want to pay my time to recreate the program from scratch (very little doc, other than the machines obvious function). I can't see them upgrading either.

Also, the machine was built in the US, but it's in Canada now, and the safety standards have ramped up enough, the machine will need some upgrading (no guards on moving bits, missing electrical placarding, etc., never ESA inspected).

I believe I need another prog for the HMI, right? Starts with a 'V', name escapes me right now.

There is a fairly straightforward method for using the existing io wiring harnesses on new quantum io. A simple adapter is used so that the plugs on the front of the io modules can be used on new quantum io. Also if you can get the program it can now be converted to run directly in the latest version of UnityPro (the current programming software) The latest version has the provision to run 984 ladder logic.
If the machine is to be kept for any period of time, I would seriously look at this option

What GeoffC said. Either that or a complete swap out for a new PLC.

If you can't do that and you cannot locate someone who has ProworxNXT then PLCWorkshop for Modicon from Fastrak is my recommendation. I recommend you stay away from Proworx32. The early versions of PLCWorkshop had a tendency to blue screen from time to time, but they are several versions past that now so hopefully it has become more stable.