Dl205 plc - pallet wrapper retrofit

MRBEER

Hello! I'm looking for a sample program used for a old automatic pallet wrapper. The control box is a complete mess, and I would like to pull out everything in the panel and start over. I have a Direct Logic DL205 PLC and would appreciate anyone who might have a program written for a similar stretch film wrapper with a turntable. I have written several programs using the #DL series however this is a larger project and some new ideas would be great.

Thanks for your help!
MRBEER

Are you going to try to control the speed of the turntable or the traveler for the roll? If not and they are fixed speed or manually adjustable, then a slightly modified garage door opener program would work. You could use timer rungs to initiate the go up and go down function. That would allow additional wraps at the top and bottom. You will need separate rungs for the turntable motor and the traveler motor. You will also need some limit switch inputs for the up and down limit as well as the turntable stop.

Last edited:
First of all..thank you for the reply! I was going to use most of the existing components, I have a 2-pos. limit switch for the down end of cycle and raise over travel inputs, and a photosensor to switch the raise/lower contactors, a contactor for the turntable with a adj. speed pot control. Is there a place where I could download a sample program to look at?

Thanks,
MRBEER

Is there a place where I could download a sample program to look at?
I don't know of a pallet wrapper sample program. I thought I had an old shrink-wrap program but could not find it.

How about just developing a new one? It should not be too hard. Are there any other outputs except for the ones you mentioned (Turntable, Raise, Lower)? Any "Finished" or alarm outputs? Here is a start.

Pallet Wrapper DL205.jpg

I wrote this program for an Infrapak pallet wrapper using a Micrologix1000.

Our machine was a standalone unit (loaded/unloaded by forktruck, not inline) with DC drives and speed pot controls and had an obsolete IDEC PLC which died, so I replaced it with the ML1000 and a PV300 micro many years ago.

There's a pdf printout of the ladder logic, and electrical dwg file in the zip. Apparently the original designer came up one input point short and did a weird thing with the cycle stop button. I didn't notice this until I was well on my way to being done, so I kept this "feature".

Last edited:
Here is my version of Pallet Wrapper Rev 0. Feel free to change or add on.

Pallet Wrapper.jpg

Attachments

• PALLET WRAPPER.ZIP
    3.9 KB · Views: 56
  • PALLET WRAPPER Rev 0.pdf
    12.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Lancie1,OKiePC
You guys are like angels from heaven because that is my next machine thats going to go bad on me.I hope you dont mind if I put your programs to use.When it happens

No, use away. Does your old machine have a manual Start button on it, or was the startup triggered when a pallet was received from another machine? If it was manual start, then relabel the X0 Start Signal in my program to Start Pusbutton.