4-20ma to Foundation Fieldbus

Dave_PHD

I have found a device by SMAR (p/n #IF302) that will take 3, 4-20 ma signals and put them on Foundation Fieldbus to be read by a Fisher Delta V system.

Are there any other vendors that have this ? I don't want to buy a whole rack of stuff as I have only 4 signals that I need the Delta V system to read.

Just to forstall any questions, I'm tapping into the analog output signals of a CompactLogix system as I've talked to AB and the only possible untried solution is PLC -> DeviceNet -> ControlNet -> 1788-CN2FF -> Delta V. And they don't think it'll work anyhow. Doing PLC->1761-NET-ENI ->1757-FFLD also won't work for a CompactLogix cpu.

There are a handful of simpler network solutions to link a CompactLogix and a DeltaV, including direct Profibus DP, Modbus RTU, DF-1, and DeviceNet links.

But SMAR are the best simple FF/analog units on the market, IMHO.

Yes, I had considered this, but due to lack of information only FFB was on the approved list of interfacing.

Since I don't know what other protocols/hardware this specific DeltaV system has installed, (and no way to find out w/o getting my head handed to me - politics) I'm also going to also propose using a AB DeviceNet 1761-NET-DNI card as it's < $200. That is, if you (or someone) can confirm that there won't be any problems and know that it's been done this way before: CLX-5330 -> 1761-NET-DNI -> cable -> DeltaV card.

If someone has actually used other networks from this PLC to DeltaV, let me know what parts / cards and I'll pass that along. Please, no 'should'/'might'/'otta' work. :) can't afford the fallout of a non-tested solution as this has to work first time when we take it to the customers location. No second chance. :(