1769-L31 CompactLogix Controller

scotth

I’m having a problem connecting with a 1769-L31 Compact Logix Controller It starts to upload and stops midway saying there is a connection error. please help the error that rslogix 5000 is "Cant communicate with RSLinx" "Failed to upload data types"

Last edited:
Tell us some more details, please. My crystal ball is a little fuzzy today...

How are you connected?
Version of RSLogix?
Version of RSLinx?
Are you trying to upload FROM or download TO the processor?

I am connecting with a rs-232 cable, attached to a usb to serial adapter. I am using rslinx classic lite. Rs Logix 5000.I am trying to upload from the controller to my laptop

How do you have the DF1 driver setup? ALso not all USB to serial adapters work. Which one are you using?

yes the driver is setup the controller shows up on rslogix 5000 and lets me start to upload the program to my laptop. the usb adapter is a "cp-us-03" i have used this adapter with other plcs.

Can you post a picture of the RSLinx config screen. Do you have the correct com port selected and device type?

I would try to open RSLinx and using the troubleshooting in it see if there are any errors come up, let is just communicate to the CPU for a few min and see if you loose com's then, leaving RSLogix closed

IMHO this is simply that the USB/RS232 converter you are using isn't up to the job.

You could try lowering the baud rate on the PLC port (you will lose connection as you do it, but just reconfigure or auto-configure the driver again).

Many of the {cheaper} USB/RS232 converters have this problem, the general consensus of opinion is that the Tripp-Lite KeySpan USA-19HS is the one to buy. Mine has never let me down.

Quite a few USA-based sellers on eBay have these at decent prices

Last edited:
I can validate what daba says I had the same trouble with an L31 trying to update firmware and it booted me off, even after updating the firmware with a PC with a real serial port I couldn't stay online with it, bought a AB USB to serial adaptor and no more problems

Rob

ok here is what comes up. I have ordered a ab usb adapter just waiting on it... I would like to thank you all for your help so far

parsons.JPG

Last edited: