Output Instructions RSLogix 5000

dabanani

I want to know if output instructions can be place in series on RSLogix 5000 programming software. I know this is not allowed in RSlogix 500 software, I am new to Logix 5000 software.
I am editing plc codes and I came across output instruction in series
Can someone tell me if this is allowed or if not what are the problems it can cause.

Thank you for your help and time.

Yes in Logix5000 you can series as many outputs as you wish.
If there is nothing else in between the coils, all of them will act depending of the rest of the rung upstream "Rung Conditions In".

They are allowed and I've used them. Depends on the readability of the code. I don't go overboard with it since others may not exactly understand what's going on. But if used correctly, it can make the code easier to understand.

Last edited:
All you have to think about is that the developers of Logix5000 have thrown away the 40-year old analogy to relay logic that has prevented this.

Outputs are just instructions to the processor to write to a memory location, and therefore can sit anywhere on a rung.

It is even permissible to have mid-line outputs, e.g. ....

XIC Tag1 OTE Tag2 XIC Tag3 OTE Tag4

It may look weird to some people, but rest assured it works, and it carries some benefits, such as reduced memory usage, and improved scan times.

A golden rule to remember is that output instructions (i.e. any "DO" type instructions such as Timers, Counters, MOV, FAL, etc. etc.) do not change the current "Rung Logic Continuity" - it is only "Conditional" instructions, (such as XIC XIO EQU CMP to name a few), that change the rung logic continuity, that is their job.

I really like it for some control rungs.
ie...Motor control with panel light for motor running...
< motor start permission inputs ok> <OTE for motor> <XIC for motor aux> <OTE for panel light>

Same for valves with/without limits that also have status lights.