RsView32 ADS - forcing an invoke of command on client station

mihal__

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody still remembers this software, but why not to try.

I have an MS Access database, RSView32 7.40 with Active Display system.

I have a display on which there is a listbox Activex (MS Forms 2.0) and I want to add there elements from database. There is no problem to do this on Server station, as I can use VBA script with gCommandExecute and Invoke, but it doesent work on client.

There wouldnt be a problem if I had to call Invoke once only, but I dont know how many records there is in db, so i have to use it dynamically..

The reason of my problem is although Invoke can be used on client station, when I insert it into VbA code it is executed on server, so its just tries to add these elements to the same display on my server.

I was looking for some mechanisms to the RS Commands, but not found any conditional instructions to call Invoke command.... An Option with events also doesnt work as they dont work on clients.

So if anybody has a clue what should i do....

Last edited:
I am wondering if anybody still remembers this software, but why not to try.
Yes, I remember RSView32.

There is no problem to do this on Server station, as I can use VBA script with gCommandExecute and Invoke, but it doesent work on client.
When you talk about "Server" and "Client", are you talking about the Active Display server and client? Because I do not remember that RSView divides itself along Server-Client lines. When I had two stations that needed to see same process, I simply loaded identical RSView programs on each one, the first station with RSView32 Works, the second running only RSView32 Runtime. Because each station had the same program, every function on the first also worked on the second. You could say that both stations were "Servers".

Active Display was not really made to make complicated changes in the RSView program from a remote station. If you need to add to a database, probably you need to copy it from your "Server" (maybe to a CD or Flash drive) then take it to the Client.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

Saying client and server i was meaning Active Display Client and Server.

On the AD Server station there is database, that is being changed dynamically, so I cant just move it on the Client station. Also the Server station has direct connection to PLCs via build communcation card (and recepies chosen from Activex form have to be send to these PLCs).

Anyway I found a new solution that should work. In RSView Commands I can use string values (strings from Tag db). So right now I am generating invoke command as a string in VBA code. And Invoke called from Client (via pushbutton) is executed on the client. There is however another problem, beacouse I will have to make as many string tags, as there are records in db. I will look for some dynamic arrays in the RSView, but I dont believe I will find something like this.

Lancie1,

can you tell me whether there is possibility to create a tag (that I can reach from RSView Tag Monitor) using VBA code?

Can you tell me whether there is possibility to create a tag (that I can reach from RSView Tag Monitor) using VBA code?
Yes, if your version of RSView32 is correctly installed to work with the Microsoft VBA editior. If the VBA editior shows up in your RSView Works "Logic and Control, Visual Basic Editor", then there are ways to use the Set command to set a derived tag to the value of some expression, where the expression uses existing Tags, mathematical, logical, or time-and-date equations. Making a forced change in a Derived tag value WHEN you want it to happen will be the hard trick.

Hard doesent mean impossible :)

Thanks again for your replies. From your description I can see that my version is correctly installed, so I will try to do that.

I was asking beacouse I found 'Tag' data type in VBA editor, where there was a method "Create Tag", but as far as I was trying I coudn't reach it from the level of Command Line or Tag Monitor.

There is description in RSV manual of creating Tags and there is a chapter "Creating tags with use of Object Model and VBA", but there is only said to look how to do it in RSV help, but of course I coudnt find it. It is also tricky to find this via google.

Hard doesent mean impossible :)

Thanks again for your replies. From your description I can see that my version is correctly installed, so I will try to do that.
I have not tried to do what you are attempting. My bet would be that you can use RSView Works to create a VBA on the Active Display Server that will create tags from a VBA script. However I doubt that from a remote Active Display Client that you will be able to change or create a VBA to produce new tags.

It works.

Command VbaExec invoked from the AD client or AD server ALWAYS is executed on the server. I tried and it was succesful.

Creating and deleting Tags from TagDB is much easier than I expected. You just use
gTagDb.CreateTag() and gTagDB.DeleteTag.

Congratulations, you figured it out. Use with caution, as some unauthorized person(s) can also make changes in your tags.

And another question.

What could be causing differences in trends displaying on ADS Server and Client ?

I havent seen these differences but customer says that in application I am modifying when he displays trend in Client it is sometimes (not always) a little different from the same trend on Server - he described it as on the Client the trend is rounded to the integer value.