Panelview 550 - Backup software question

charp9710

Hi Guys,

I have a Allen Bradley Panelview 550 operator panel
CAT: 2711-K5A8
Ser: F
Rev: G
FRN: 3.30

It is connected to a SLC5/04 PLC via the DH+ port. I'm interested in backing up the operator panel software via the RS232 port using an RS232 cable - 2711-NC13 or 2711-NC14 and Panel Builder 32 v3.83.01 (Build 7) software on a Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4) laptop.

My question is would this be the best approach in terms of software & cable to achieve communications to the panel and to upload this particular panel type to my programmer?

I've read through a number of other threads asking a similar question with regard to backing up a panelview 550 and just want to be sure I'm heading in the right direction and if there anything else I should be aware of that may cause me problems?

Thanks all

Best is always a matter of opinion. As long as the RS232 port has not been configured for printer use your method should work just fine. Your method has always worked for me.

An alternative is to use a memory card.

Last edited:
I don't believe it has ever been configured for a printer to the best of my knowledge. Hopefully it should be straight forward to dump the software then.

Thanks for the response and reassuring me on the method required Mickey

I don't believe it has ever been configured for a printer to the best of my knowledge. Hopefully it should be straight forward to dump the software then.

Thanks for the response and reassuring me on the method required Mickey

You're welcome and let us know how it works out.