Slc500

csvoeltzel

We have some SLC500 Allen Bradley PLC in service. The contracter who programmed them is long gone and nobody seems to be able to locate even a listing of the prgram let alone a backup of the program. As if that wasn't bad enough, there is a password on the PLCs and we don't have it.

I've seen some posts on cracking the password.

I don't know much about this model. Can the program running on the plc be transfered to a PC without the original file? I know some of the older models can't. If it can be, is the password required to do so?

Is there a faster more up to date cpu that's compatible with the i/o and backplane?

Any PLC crackers out there who are interested in taking this on?

Welcome to the Forum !

The details of "password cracking" are one of a very small list of topics we don't discuss on the Forum.

The general topic of the ethics of it, heck, you can't make us shut up.

Your local RA office can do this for you, but you'll have to provide some information to convince them you have rights to the code. Some system integrators are equipped and able to do this, too.

In general, any SLC-500 program file can be uploaded from a running controller. This process requires the password if there has been a password set in the controller.

It's also possible to completely lock down an SLC-500 controller; if the "Allow Future Access" bit, also called "OEM Lock", is cleared and the Status file of the controller is set to Read-Only, then there is no possible way to read the file out of the controller. I have only run into a few OEMs savvy enough to remember to do both steps.