How To Store Status of A Ethernet Module Inside A Bit...

rs14smith

For some reason I cannot remember how you can store the status of an ethernet module into a bit so that you can setup alarms that will state rather or not there is a fault or connection problem with that ethernet module without having to look at the physical module itself?

Basically, if the bit is anything but 0, you know something is wrong, thus through up a warming on the HMI or something...

For some reason I cannot remember how you can store the status of an ethernet module into a bit so that you can setup alarms that will state rather or not there is a fault or connection problem with that ethernet module without having to look at the physical module itself?

Basically, if the bit is anything but 0, you know something is wrong, thus through up a warming on the HMI or something...

Basics: what PLC, what Ethernet card - we can't do much to advise you otherwise.

For a Generic Ethernet Module, you will use the GSV instruction to read the EntryStatus value from the Module Object.

Search this Forum with those keywords and you'll find multiple threads about it.

There is a good RA manual in the RA Literature Library that describes this and other status objects in the ControlLogix:

RSLogix 5000 Controllers Controller Information and Status Programming Manual, Publication 1756-PM015

For a Generic Ethernet Module, you will use the GSV instruction to read the EntryStatus value from the Module Object.

Search this Forum with those keywords and you'll find multiple threads about it.

There is a good RA manual in the RA Literature Library that describes this and other status objects in the ControlLogix:

RSLogix 5000 Controllers Controller Information and Status Programming Manual, Publication 1756-PM015

Well even when I change the GSV to an EntryStatus, it is still storing a 0 in the Dest even though I do not have the device connected to that ethernet module. So there is certainly not any communication, and under the I/O Configuration, the module is also showing a yellow attention icon. So I'm not sure why it is not detecting that...

I'll be more explicit: the GSV doesn't "store a zero to a bit".

The GSV allows you to read the EntryStatus value from the Module Object. EntryStatus is a 16-bit INT value in which the highest 4 bits are the EntryStatus code.

I divide EntryStatus (I usually make an INT tag called EntryStatusRaw) by 4096 to bit-shift the value to the lowest 4 bits, and make the target a DINT called EntryStatusValue.

When EntryStatusValue = 4, the connection is running. When it's anything else, the connection is not running.

You'll see this as pseudocode, narrative, screencaptures, and epic poetry in my many posts on the topic here on PLCTalk.net.

If there's a comms error on my current PanelView project, all the sequence step text switches from descriptive process steps to the first stanza of Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky".

Never let engineering get in the way of your art.

Could you or someone point me to a thread that is showing a screenshot of this, as I am still not able to get this to work. The device is pingable from my computer, however, I assume it's just not passing data thus it is faulting.

Open the Connection tab and watch the status... you'll see "Connecting", "Timed Out", "Faulted", etc. Those correspond to the values in EntryStatus.

The important part is the Fault Code; if it's 0x0204 it's an ordinary timeout, if it's something in the 0x0300 range it's a configuration setting.

What is the Generic Module device ?

Does anyone know what number you can look for if the module is Idle? I know 4 is for if it is running okay.