Resolution

Ashwin

Current Inputs/Outputs
Voltage usually offers more resolution ie. 32767 instead of 4095 (bit resolution).

Voltage Inputs/Outputs
Most PLCs only offer 12 bit resolution of 4095 max.

Bitmore

I GOT THIS FROM A DIFFERENT POST. COULD ANYONE EXPLAIN THE RESOLUTION part of it.

What is the significance of 4095? maybe its too late in the night..or maybe I have forgotten my fundamentals. It is something similar to a standard like how we have 4 to 20 mA, 0 to 5v. I was just curious, how did the 4095 number crop up.

I promised myself this will be my last post on this forum in a long time to come..on second thoughts dont quote me on that! Im having fun learning.

Last edited:
Ashwin said:
Current Inputs/Outputs
Voltage usually offers more resolution ie. 32767 instead of 4095 (bit resolution).

Voltage Inputs/Outputs
Most PLCs only offer 12 bit resolution of 4095 max.

For the record, this information is not correct.

The resolution (don't confuse with accuracy) is a function of the design of the I/O card. You can get 16 bit resolution in inputs and outputs for current and voltage from some manufacturers and 12 bit from others and 15 bit from others. Some manufacturers have both available in different modules. Always look at the specs.