Help with RSLogix500 activation failure

theripley

Hi.

So, this is my first encouter with AB. The installer package just arrived and I'm kinda excited to explore it out. I have installed it (an hour ago), restarted my computer & opened the programming software only to read a " Product Activation Failed" message. I re-started my pc again, but to no avail. The message box says,"The ff. activations were not successfully checked out: RS500.exe".

I checked & confirmed the activation path, as suggested, but it's still the same.

What did I do wrong? How can I correct this?

Did you also install the FactoryTalk Activation Manager ?

You need to use the product code and serial number that came on the sheet of paper inside the red envelope to activate the software.

Details, discussions, and even videos:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/activations.html

Yes, I did install the Activation Manager & inputted the codes written on the envelop. I'm not sure why it's activation failed.

I was watching the instruction video of Rockwell automation. It seems that It must be activated using only 1 host device's id. As for me, I need the software be activated on multi-pc/ laptop, so I need to purchase the separate USB dongle. This software is worth 5-figured value, too expensive to be use on a single device only. Is this for real Allen Bradley?

If you buy MS Windows 7, do you buy one copy and use it on multiple PCs? No, of course not.

Use the dongle and you can install on as many PCs as you like.

OG

Ok, that's a piece of software that sells units in the hundreds of millions. I probably should have used another piece of programming software. Trying pricing:
  • Maya
  • AutoCAD
  • Photoshop
  • Adobe Premiere
Software is expensive. Particularly specialty software that doesn't sell millions of copies.

OG

I was watching the instruction video of Rockwell automation. It seems that It must be activated using only 1 host device's id. As for me, I need the software be activated on multi-pc/ laptop, so I need to purchase the separate USB dongle. This software is worth 5-figured value, too expensive to be use on a single device only. Is this for real Allen Bradley?

If the multiple devices sharing the license are (or can easily be) networked, I highly recommend the concurrent type of license, put them all on one machine, and make it the server, point each networked PC FTActivation Manager at that PC by name or IP address.

This works best when you have multiple licenses shared among even more people from their desks, but is also a very safe and useful method even if you have to check out the license and take it with you. If you call ab, or use their chat feature, they can resolve this for you. You will need to generate a host ID for the machine that will act as a server and tell them you misunderstood the portability and wish to switch to concurrent license.

If you don't network, order the dongle.

If it's just two or three machines the dongle is simple enough to use. If you have more machines, the activation server method Okie suggests is definitely the way to go. It is very handy. It's easy enough to set up too.

OG

Is this for real Allen Bradley?
AB strikes again: Another good girl gone "bad".

Software is expensive. Particularly specialty software that doesn't sell millions of copies.
But RSLogix worldwide has sold millions of copies.

I suppose the bottom line is the cost-to-benefit ratio of a software package for the intended job. For some jobs, the higher-end software is not practical.

Last edited:
This software is worth 5-figured value,

probably too late now - but exactly what product did you buy? ... (product number or part number please) ...

the last time I checked, a copy of RSLogix500 software (which should take care of anything you're probably going to need to do) sold for about $1,600 ... other flavors are cheaper - if all you need to work on is MicroLogix (not SLC-500 family) ...

or did you mean to say RSLogix5000 (not RSLogix500) in your thread title? ...

You can get to $10k US dollars if they are sold on pro versions of editors, RSLinx Pro, RSNetworx for Devicenet, Factory Talk View Studio licensed (number of displays). If you plan to do a LOT of RSLogix500 programming, I recommend the Professional edition. It is worth the difference in cost for me where I supports more than 40 different SLCs and Micrologix controllers.

I would not recommend the Lite-r versions of the editors which don't support online editing.

The Standard version with RSLinx Lite, would be good enough if this is more limited or short term and would be my minimum choice.

Even if the license was for one sole laptop, I would get a concurrent one and set it up as server and client. I have lost numerous USB drives, even my massive old 3G modem (found under spare tire in trunk 6 months later).

I'd feel safer with a txt file license I can backup and email to myself, and keep inside my trusty dell laptop hard drive while working and in use.

If something goes wrong, no problem, in ten minutes (with a web connection) you can re-host it to another laptop or PC without having to call tech support.

You can dropkick, format c:\, or lose your laptop at the airport, and get the license back (3 times per year IIRC) with a few steps and an internet connection.

Meanwhile, you get the 7 day grace period if working in a remote unconnected site and you lose the license in any form including a dongle. Seven days should be plenty of time to order and receive a new one.

:) Ye$ A/B didn't get to be the among the biggest by giving $tuff away.

Last edited: