Rslogix500

berrabbit5849

I have the program installed on my laptop and my desktop. My desktop shows that my 7 day grace period is expired. I have my activation tied to a Dongle. I think. Everything works fine on my laptop. If I look on my laptop and see avaiviable activations I see C:medocs/etc. If I click on REHOST I see my dongle is availaible to be rehosted.
Why won't my dongle work on my desktop. ?

Have you gone into the FactoryTalk Activation Manager to see if it sees the dongle and has selected it as a viable source for licence(s)?

I look at "find availiable activations" on my laptop and the top line shows PATH TO ACTIVATION C\documents etc

below is
AVAILAIBLE ACTIVATIONS and it shows

RSLogix500,RS500.exe,ver 2.00,s/n,user-74006a2cdf,na,na,na

My laptop will not show activated usless my dongle is plugged in.

At first I thought you probably just need to update the search path on the desktop so that it knows to look for the dongle. I have not used that method of licensing, so I checked the help file and found some interesting notes.

Open Factory Talk Activation Manager, go to Help and search for this topic:
"Activation timing when using the dongle".

There are some interesting details in the help file which may help you out.

OK. I have uninstalled RsLogix500 standard and reinstalled it on my desktop. It finally opens up this time instead of a error box. I have this same software on my laptop and I use a DONGLE with it. How do I get the same DONGLE to work on my desktop ?

How do I get the same DONGLE to work on my desktop ?
Does the dongle give you license rights to work on more than one computer at a time. If not...(you know the rest). You probably have to remove the dongle access program from your laptop and reinstall it only on your desktop.

You need to use the Factory Talk Activation Transfer (FTActTrans) which is installed with RSLogix, to transfer a copy of the Activation file to your desktop.

Once you have done that, then you can used the RSLogix500 on either your laptop, or Desktop, depending on which one has the USB dongle plugged into it.

We operate all our RSLogix500 & RSLogix5000 licences this way, so that we can more fully ultilise our limited number of licences, to our engineers, when then they need them, they then return the dongle back to central control, until the next time they need them.

You probably have to remove the dongle access program from your laptop and reinstall it only on your desktop.
You do NOT need to remove the dongle access program from your laptop, as the Dongle itself that Activation reference point. It is the software file which needs copying across, that tells the RSLogix that Dongle is the reference point.

Last edited: