ESA HMI's

The_Wanderer

A potential customer (they promised us the job, but no Purchase Order yet...) has requested that we use an ESA brand HMI, specifically the model VT565W.

I am just wondering if anybody can tell me how they are to program and use. It will be attached to a Micrologix 1500 I believe-- definately an AB PLC anyway.

I have downloaded the hardware and software manuals, will try to wade through them later, but there is no local support (closest rep is in Germany) so I will be stuck learning myself. Are there any pitfalls or problems I should be looking out for?

BTW, I have experience with Mitsubishi E-series and AB Panelviews, so I am sure it won't ALL be new. Just the hard stuff... :rolleyes:

Thanks.

esa hmi

The_Wanderer

Good luck.
The ESA HMI has some peculiar things that require time consuming duplications. For example to congigure a button on the screen to turn on a bit in the PLC requires the following three steps.
1 Configure a "variable"
2 Configure a "direct command" tied to that "variable"
3 Configure a "touch button" tied to the "direct command"

Then use the touch button in the required screen.

Be carefull that you don't overlap touch buttons on your screen layout as this only becomes apparent after you try to compile the project. If you have overlapped the touch buttons the compile will fail and then you have to try to find where the overlapping has occured. Really time consuming again.

Cheers
Allen