PowerFlex 40 Parameter Question......

JoseM

Guys,

I have various PowerFlex 40 in my facility that have this weird front panel. It only contains one button and a small electronic device sticking out with several wires connected to it.

I want to be able to see the parameters which were programmed on those VFD drives. Is that possible and how can I do it?

I should have guessed !

That's a "Safe Off" board.

It looks like you also have a 22-COMM-D DeviceNet board fitted, so my first suggestion would be to use DriveTools or RSNetworx for DeviceNet to navigate to the drive over DeviceNet and monitor its parameters.

I uploaded the devicenet network and the parameter for all its devices. When I looked at the graphic representation on RSNetworx it shows two icon's that said "DSI", these are the 22-COMM-D modules for the two multi-drive configurations I have on this system.

When I right-click on the "DSI" icon and select "Properties" it gives me the parameters of the 22-comm module. How can I drill down to the parameters for the drives itself.

Last edited:
Multi-Drive mode *and* Safe-Off ? What the heck does this thing do ?

I am not familiar enough with Multi-Drive Mode to suggest what to do; I think that it doesn't allow you to use RSNetworx or DriveTools, but I can't be sure.

They have four powerflex drives daisy-chain together using the RS485 connection of the unit, and only one of the drives contain a 22-COMM-D module that is tied to the devicenet network.

Here you can see a picture of the properties screen for the 22-COMM-D module where you can see the first parameter "MODE" set to MultiDrv.

DeviceNet Multi-Drive Mode.jpg

We have a machine that use multi drive like this https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/96247/ which is ethernet so I would imagine devicenet is the same concept.

It really sux IMO and is not very reliable. We have issues with comms loss on it all the time.

We have used the "multi-drive" mode as well and have not been very happy with it. Very clunky. There are a lot of quirks with the "correlation" of the drives in Logix5000 as well.

Looking forward to seeing the new Ethernet based "compact" drives that are supposedly going to be released soon. We plan to go "all ethernet on all nodes" if the price is right.

Maybe you want to take a look at Connected Components Workbench (CCW), which's latest FREE Standard Edition Rev.2.0 was just recently released.

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/programmable-controllers/connected-components-workbench-software

It is RA response to Siemens's TIA (Totally Integrated Automation) software package which uses only one interface for controllers, drives and HMIs integration.
Although CCW is intended to be used within Micro800 systems, Connected Components Workbench is very handy when handling Multi-VFDs applications. The software package doesn't require separate communications or drives' application utilities.
I would give it a try, however, expect several hours of download/install since the .exe is some 2GB.

dmargineau,

Thank you for your suggestion about using "Connected Component Workbench". It did a marvelous job at uploading the parameters for all the drives I have connected in "Multi-Drive Mode".

Now, I fill comfortable that if I loose a drive, I will be able to replace it and download the parameters to it with ease.