FactoryTalkView SE - RealVNC ActiveX

MartB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'd like to embed a Real VNC application (I'm running a third party app), into an existing window in FactoryTalkView SE.
I've never attempted this before, but as far as I can tell, I need an ActiveX control (.ocx) file to be able to do this.
Does anyone know where I can get such a thing?

This should do it http://www.s-code.com/products/serverx/ but getting active x controls working in ASE is a real bear. View 32 it was much easier.

Whay do you want a VNC active x control anywway? Why not just run vnc on the server or client that the SE app resides on?

Just a addition I am not a huge fan of real vnc anyways for multiple reasons and I would recommend ultra vnc as a better option.

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out sometime today.

The reason for VNC activeX is that we need to lock down the HMI (to conform to 21CFR part 11), so we have to display the third party app within our FTV SE app.
Plus the third party app is only accessible via VNC (their call not mine).

Point noted about Ultra VNC, I'll look into that (we haven't experienced any issues with Real VNC so far).

getting active x controls working in ASE is a real bear. View 32 it was much easier.

No kidding, I've been trying everything I can think of and still can't get it to run as an ActiveX object o_O

Anyone got any tips? It is acting like it is just not even trying to connect :mad:

Well last night/this morning we switched everything over to UltraVNC (I took PLC Kids advice).
We also installed an UltraVNC activeX control (UltraVncAx.dll).

This didn't make any difference unfortunately and we still can't access the third party app from within FTV SE.

Has anyone ever had any success using an ActiveX control in SE? From what I'm reading on the web, it seems like it's a bit of a b'iatch to deal with.