New to PV PLus 600

theripley

Hi.

I have successfully installed the PV plus 600. I am trying it out now for over 4 hours, I am frustrated as I could not assign an address to a single momentary button. I double-clicked the momentary push button, it has a general, states, common & connection setting. To which of these will I go to add an address to this button?

I have read the manual but could not see the instruction in putting the address. Please help.

What platform? PLC, SLC, Logix?
Do you have yor RSLinx Enterprise communications setup?
Are you using direct or HMI tags?
Are you Online with the CPU controller?
If Offline, within a Logix platform, do you have the controller RSL5K application file?

What platform? PLC, SLC, Logix?
Do you have yor RSLinx Enterprise communications setup?
Are you using direct or HMI tags?
Are you Online with the CPU controller?
If Offline, within a Logix platform, do you have the controller RSL5K application file?

I'm kinda lost with that.

Here's what I need to deliver. I have a PLC (Micrologix 1400, 1766-L32BWA) to be connected to an operator interface (Panelview Plus 600, 2711P-T6C5D). I have not yet made any wiring connection as of now. I am only familiarizing both of these since this is my first time to use AB.

I have installed the RSLOgix500 v.9 & Factorytalkview machine edition v.6.10. By far, that is my only accomplishment.

As I was going through the Factorytalkview software, I find it very hard to use. It wasn't like any of the softwares I have worked with. I am reading the manual but the instructions are limited.

you really need to have the PLC connected and ONLINE to make any real headway ...

I've posted some screen shots - based on a common lab setup that works for me ... naturally your setup will be different - but maybe the ideas shown will get you headed in the right direction ...

notice the screen shots are NUMBERED – follow them one, two, three ... you'll probably have to Right-Click and follow some extra menus – depending on how your gear is connected ...

TIP: 4 hours of frustration is NOTHING! ... this stuff will eat your life if you let it ...

go as far as you can - and then post screen shots when you get hung up – we'll try to help ... there is a LOT of variety here for different setups ... (no plain vanilla) ...

good luck ...

erika_step_one.jpg erika_step_two.jpg erika_step_three.jpg

I hope that the information will help – but please remember that it's mostly just an OUTLINE of the basic steps you'll need to accomplish ... those steps work OK with my lab equipment ...

but ...

each system can be different – so you might have to modify various parts of the setup to match your particular hardware ... just keep working at it – and post again with any specific questions you might have ...

Hi Erika!

If you need to add a device that is not convenient to access online, you can skip Ron's step 1, go to his step two diagram, and rather than browse for the RSLinx Enterprise driver, right click and add one (I forget the names of the serial drivers, but it will be DF1 in there somewhere.)

Then on the driver, you can right click and add a new device. You can then edit the node or IP address and other communications settings of the device.

Notice also at the top, the comms settings have two tabs, one is for the development environment, and the other is for the target device.

This definitions is called a shortcut and you can copy the Local shortcut path from the Local to the Runtime definition with a button click.

Then for tags, you can set up the offline file for browsing for direct references, or use HMI tags and re-define them later when you have a file or tag list to import.

Ron's right that they have aimed this software at online development which is really nice with a Logix5000 controller. You can do *some* development of display objects and set up HMI tags without either an online or offline file, then go back and edit the "Connection" fields later.

Last edited:
Progress 1:

I have connected the Micrologix 1400 - PanelviewPlus 600 via 2711-NC13 connector. Since I DO NOT have any PLC program yet, how will I download a PLC program to the PLC?

Can I download a program from my laptop to the PLC using cable 1585J-M8CBJM-5 (both ends RJ-45)?

Please help.

Continuation of Progress1:

I have tried connecting my PC to the PLC but to no avail. I have attached printscreens of what I did. Kindly advice me with what to do.

Thank you,
Erika

if I remember correctly, you're sort of new to Allen_Bradley – correct? ...

and it looks like you're having trouble DOWN-loading a "getting started" program to your MICROLOGIX – correct? ...

if so, let's work on getting that part first ... please answer the following questions ... please give the requested information – or say, "I don't know" ... if you don't know, we'll have to correct that before we move forward ...

(1) what is the IP address (Ethernet) of your COMPUTER? (ex: 10.10.10.7) ...

(2) what is the Subnet Mask (Ethernet) set for on your COMPUTER? (ex: 255.255.255.0) ...

(3) what is the IP address (Ethernet) of your MICROLOGIX? (ex: 10.10.10.51) ...

(4) what is the Subnet Mask (Ethernet) set for on your MICROLOGIX? (ex: 255.255.255.0) ...

(5) can you successfully PING the MICROLOGIX from your COMPUTER? ...

(6) your screen shot shows that you've tried setting up an Ethernet driver ... do you have the IP address of the MICROLOGIX entered into the AB_ETH-1 driver? ... (see screen shot below for example) ...

(7) do you have a simple RS-232 cable (NOT ethernet) to fit between your computer and the MicroLogix? ... sometimes that's a simpler way to get started than working through the ETHERNET connection ...

look at the attached screen shots in THIS order ...

erika_configure_driver
erika_download
erika_dont_apply
erika_sample_program

if (WHEN) you get it downloaded, the sample program I've suggested would be a good way to start experimenting with the PanelView application ... it gives you something simple to control off and on (bit B3/0) ... and it gives you a simple analog value to monitor and display (N7:0) ...

I'll be offline most of today – but I'm sure that there will be others here who can help ...

good luck with your project ...

erika_configure_driver.PNG erika_aim_download.jpg erika_dont_apply.PNG erika_sample_program.PNG

Last edited:
about your earlier question ...

Can I download a program from my laptop to the PLC using cable 1585J-M8CBJM-5 (both ends RJ-45)?

I've never heard of that particular cable before ...

basic idea:

if the cable is an Ethernet CROSS-OVER type cable then the answer is "it will PROBABLY work" ...

if the cable is an Ethernet STRAIGHT-THROUGH type cable then the answer is "it MIGHT work – but you'll probably need an Ethernet HUB or an Ethernet SWITCH between the computer and the PLC" ...

the reason that I say "probably" is because I've been told that some NEWER computers on the market have the ability to "autodetect" and adapt to using either a crossover – or a straight-through – cable automatically ...

the BIG question becomes: "can you PING the PLC through the cable?" ...

if the answer is "no" – then you've got to get that piece of the puzzle sorted out before you go much further ...

an even BETTER question is: "do you have an RS-232 DF1 cable available to connect between the PLC and the computer?" ...

if so, that's usually the easiest route to getting started ... specifically, it's usually easiest to go through the "cheap gray cable" FIRST in order to set up the Ethernet channel ...

Hi Ron,

This is my Progress 2 report:

1.) I was able to connect, download & upload successfully to Micrologix 1400 using the ethernet connection (jumping up & down).
With the very simple program I downloaded, I tried forcing the input/ output on & off. However, upon forcing the output on/ off, the hardware (PLC) does not respond. I was basing this upon observation of the i/o display provided on the PLC. Isn't it suppose to react with the forcing?

2.) My next concern is connection to the hmi. Unfortunately, my hmi does not have an ethernet port, only a usb & a serial port connection. The serial port is supposed to be use as a dedicated connection to the PLC. My only option for programming connection is the USB port, in which the cable was not provided by the distributor. If I order the USB connector, it will take 4-6 weeks. My client is expecting the machine delivery in 3 weeks. Is there any other option? Please advice.

Last edited:
1.) I was able to connect, download & upload successfully to Micrologix 1400 using the ethernet connection (jumping up & down).
With the very simple program I downloaded, I tried forcing the input/ output on & off. However, upon forcing the output on/ off, the hardware (PLC) does not respond. I was basing this upon observation of the i/o display provided on the PLC. Isn't it suppose to react with the forcing?
you shouldn't be using the word "forcing" here ... that's a DIFFERENT operation that is done with the RSLogix500 software ... specifically, a "force" is not done with the PanelView ...

you should be using the term: "write to" to describe how the PanelView sends a signal to the PLC ...

reason for confusion: suppose that you "write to" an IN-put bit address with the PanelView – specifically, you try to TURN ON an IN-put bit by writing a ONE into the bit/box ... when you do that, the PanelView DOES indeed write a ONE into the bit/box ... BUT ... on the very next scan, the processor checks to see if there is any electrical current (from the field connections) flowing through the circuit associated with the bit/box's terminal screw ... since there is NO current flowing, the processor puts a ZERO into the bit/box – and then continues its scan through the ladder logic ...

so ...

yes, the PanelView CAN write a ONE into an IN-put bit/box ... BUT ... the ONE will not stay in the bit/box long enough to be seen on the programming screen – or to do any useful control ...

so ...

try writing to an INTERNAL bit/box instead ... I suggest B3/0 as shown in the sample program that I posted ... I think you'll have much better results with that ...

EDIT: if you're trying to "write to" the output address shown in the rung you posted earlier, then that won't work either ... that's because the PanelView can indeed write a ONE into the OUT-put bit/box ... BUT ... on the next scan of the program, the processor will evaluate the rung as FALSE – and will write a ZERO into the OUT-put bit/box ... once again, I strongly recommend that you start with the sample program that I posted ... once you get that working correctly THEN (and ONLY then) should you continue with the PanelView development ...

sorry – but I'm out of time for today ... if you'll post the complete CATALOG number of your PanelView terminal, then someone else should be able to help you sort out the communications you'll need ...

erika_sample_rung.PNG

Last edited: