Motion Group not synchronized

mallorz

Hello...

As you may or may not recall, I've been teaching myself motion since mid-summer. I've started a new job and got a call in from a customer saying that, when trying to run a MSO Motion Direct Command, they get an error stating that the "motion group is not in the synchronized state." (using a K350, CIP)

I've done some research and there isn't much on the subject besides saying that the cause is possibly a configuration issue.

I tried a theory that I had, that the axis did not belong to a motion group, this morning on a K2000 but that error was pretty specific in stating that the axis wasn't assigned [to a motion group].

Besides being just a 'motor not configured' type of thing, I was wondering if anyone else has saw this.

The customer was supposed to call me back yesterday but must have got caught up. Not sure if they figured it out on their own but I am just curious since I don't have their program in front of me and can't re-create the error.

Is there a grandfather time master in the system? - Do not know what version of rslogix5K you are using guess as CIP motion V19+?

He did have the time synchronized, I don't recall the version of Logix if it was mentioned.

He never called back though so I assume he fixed it. I had someone here show me some different steps involved in setting up CIP motion, I assume that the customer just missed a step or two.

Thanks for the reply.

Mallorz,

I've ran into this issue before and unfortunately I think there are lots of things that could cause this. As it sounds as if your customer's system was running well before this occurred, it leads me to believe it was something physical / electrical on the drives that caused the error.

Regardless of the actual cause, whenever I have encountered this in the past, I've done a combination of cycling power and/or using a Motion Group Stop / Shutdown Reset command (I mainly work with Kinetix 6500s).

It may be advantageous to monitor the status of the motion group, and on an error (and acknowledgement from an operator), automatically perform a MGSR command to see if that fixes the issue.

Hope this helps some.

Kris

I have saw that error when one of the motors gets over-torqued and when it stops it's actual position is outside it's deadband. Mine was caused by me setting the accel/decel to fast. There is a setting called Position Lock Tolerance.

Mallorz,

I've ran into this issue before and unfortunately I think there are lots of things that could cause this. As it sounds as if your customer's system was running well before this occurred, it leads me to believe it was something physical / electrical on the drives that caused the error.

Hey Kris,

I believe the customer was actually an OEM. Nonetheless I know it was on a new machine being built. The guy just wanted to see the motors work, hence the Motion Direct Commands. I'm not even sure if he had actual logic yet. I would guess not, he didn't seem too familiar with motion instructions.

After talking to someone I work with I completely understand that it could have been a number of things. I'm glad he figured it out though (assuming).