RSLogix500 Comments

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
Using version 9.00.00 (CPR 9)

Even though in options I have it selected to associate rung comments to the rung and not the output address, it continues to associate it to the address.

What am i missing?

just guessing ...

when you open the Rung Comment itself for editing, what is "checked" on? ... I've got a hunch that the settings in "Options" is the run-of-the-mill default - but I'm guessing that the default setting could be overwritten in the comments editing box ...

EDIT ... looks like I took too long to type ...

Thanks Ron, sometimes I wish there was an un-post button.

Or that I think before I post.

While on the topic, is there any way to globally change all these to be attached to the RUNG all in one fell swoop?

look under Tools > Database > Convert Rung Attachment ...

I suggest you experiment with a SPARE copy of the program first ... this can have weird results when it comes to things like Timers and the Resets for them, etc. ...

or ...

when someone uses another computer to ADD or to DELETE rungs ... you'll find that any other computers will then have the rung comments "skewed" when the rung numbers get changed - unless the latest RSS file is available on all of the computers ...

(and yes, there's a tool to rearrange the comments and how they're tied to the "altered" rung numbers ... look at Adjust Rung Offset) ...

(you're a moderator - can't you just erase a thread?) ...

Last edited:

I suggest you experiment with a SPARE copy of the program first ... this can have weird results when it comes to things like Timers and the Resets for them, etc. ...

or ...

when someone uses another computer to ADD or to DELETE rungs ... you'll find that any other computers will then have the rung comments "skewed" when the rung numbers get changed - unless the latest RSS file is available on all of the computers ...

(and yes, there's a tool to rearrange the comments and how they're tied to the "altered" rung numbers ... look at Adjust Rung Offset) ...

Ron, thanks for the advise and tips. I'll give it a try. I am making changes to this program to such a degree that they will have no choice but to use this file.

(you're a moderator - can't you just erase a thread?) ...

I forgot about my new super powers!:geek:

Actually, all I can do is "soft delete" posts that are considered possible spam. Phil still has ultimate power on whether it gets breaded or battered.

Unfortunately bad posts don't count as spam or there are a lot of people that would be in trouble. :whistle:

I had never noticed that little feature before. Thanks!

Comments - Old School?

Since we have been using TAG based programming I have been PURPOSEFULY, NOT using any instruction comments, or rung comments.

If the TAG is succicntly named, then there is no reason to add " a thousand words" to the already established picture. (rung structure).

The discipline is in design, not in trying to write a paragraph explaining your design.

MY $0.02

I rarely associate rung comments to a position in the code. Only for the very first rung, the overview comment, and perhaps rung 0 of each SBR...There are too many ways to end up with moving rung comments unless you're the sole operator with RSLogix.

If I want a Title block to appear, but only once where it would otherwise appear on numerous rungs with the same last instruction, that's when I break out the "Comment Placeholder" bits

I will use one of a group of bits with the group symbol name REMARK, and the description is "Comment Place Holder", and put the title block and section overview rung comments there. They are locked to that bit, it becomes the first rung marker of that section of logic, then advanced diagnostics in the project tree pane becomes highly awesome.

Paul

Since we have been using TAG based programming I have been PURPOSEFULY, NOT using any instruction comments, or rung comments.

If the TAG is succicntly named, then there is no reason to add " a thousand words" to the already established picture. (rung structure).

The discipline is in design, not in trying to write a paragraph explaining your design.

MY $0.02

I agree that tag based programming dramatically decreases the need or volume of rung comments, but I don't think it necessarily makes rung comments obsolete. Comments can serve many different purposes beyond just explaining your program. I tend to use comments extensively to explain things about the machinery or process that might not be obvious or evident.

For example, if I have a network mathing out the scaling of encoder counts to some linear dimension I will comment in how it was arrived at (reductions, PPR, how many teeth are on the sprockets, etc). This isn't stuff you want necessarily clogging up a title block. This way it is not a mystery to the next guy where you came up with all these magical constants you have in your program.

If I have a field device that is analog or communication based I try to provide all the pertinent engineering data. I will note its resolution, range, whether or not it is loop powered, what the values correlate to in user units, etc.

Or if you have some code that deals with a tower light and horn perhaps you have different combinations of pulses that mean different things. Difficult to convey all that information with just a tag name. So it is natural to have a rung comment to explain Blinking Green -- Auto Ready, Solid Green - In Auto, etc.

In this particular file I am working on the original programmer sprinkled a lot of screen changes by way of move blocks to an N integer all over the place. There are about 40 screens on the PanelView so without comments you are left to wonder what screen is being called when you see a "MOV 7 N7:9" Since the comments were attached by address, if I commented the rung "Display Manual Screen" then all instances of N7:9 being written get the same comment.

I can only remember one time, a very long time ago, where my rung comments got disordered from where they should have been. I don't remember how or why it happened.

I have never understood the usefulness of having the rung comment attached to the output memory. The memory itself already has a description available for this.

It might just be a factor of where I began from (Giddings & Lewis) where uploading was not possible, so a good system of keeping track of programs wasn't just good practice, it was mandatory.

I rarely associate rung comments to a position in the code. Only for the very first rung, the overview comment, and perhaps rung 0 of each SBR...There are too many ways to end up with moving rung comments unless you're the sole operator with RSLogix.

If I want a Title block to appear, but only once where it would otherwise appear on numerous rungs with the same last instruction, that's when I break out the "Comment Placeholder" bits

I will use one of a group of bits with the group symbol name REMARK, and the description is "Comment Place Holder", and put the title block and section overview rung comments there. They are locked to that bit, it becomes the first rung marker of that section of logic, then advanced diagnostics in the project tree pane becomes highly awesome.

Paul

Paul, do you have an example you could share? Sounds like an interesting approach.

Damian, I vote for more programs with comments like yours - what a great way to cover all those little things that are forgotten), and fewer with Plastic's method. His method is just too...plastic.

I agree. I hate programs based only on tag names. It may be ok for simple programs but when you get into large systems using tag names only is a big PITA.

I like long relevant tag names. Nothing is worse than opening up a RsLogix 5000 program and finding someone's abbreviated shorthand.

But even that is not a replacement for comments to help understand how someone else's code works.

Actually maybe I'm just finally getting enough miles on me to understand, but I find myself going back on machines I built 15 years or so ago and trying to figure out how the code in them works. I'm sure at the time I thought I would remember it forever, but it just didn't happen that way. You can never have too many comments.