PLC Career questions

Dave9080

Hello all

I figured this is the best place to ask a career question as most people here work in the industry.

Im wishing to go into PLC and wanting to take the night course at my local technical college. The classes seem very in depth which is good as I do not have any formal training. I have been in corporate IT for over 8 years. When I was younger I worked in a electronics shop fixing TVs, microwaves, etc.

So now my questions.

1) Will I be able to transition from IT to PLC. With that will my basic programming knowledge help a lot and will employers look at that when interviewing?

2) Will I be limited because of my lack of Engineering education?

3) Do employers bring on students to do junior positions?

4) What other course could I take to give me that edge?

5) Bonus question (lol) I have also looked at CNC and I find it very interesting though seems as if you need to be a machinist to get into it, is this true?

Thank you all in advance.

Welcome to the forums!

1 - If you are a person who likes to "tinker" with things, then yes I think you could transition. Quite frankly, the world of Automation is advancing and merging into the world of IT. So having a strong IT background would be extremely beneficial to system integrator types. Virtualization, Server, Database, Reporting, Network infrastructure is growing in demand, and the trend to provide plant-level data to management will only grow.

2 - Depends on your drive. If you can learn on your own, learn from others, and soak information up like a sponge you'll grow fast.

3 - Yes, it's hard to find good Controls Engineers. Many hire students out of college to groom them to what they need.

4 - Anything related to industry. Electrical, mechanical courses are a must. Controls/Automation is a "Jack-of-all-trades" career. You have to know how to troubleshoot and identify when it's a programming issue, electrical, mechanical...etc. You're the last guy to make it all work, and you must identify when it's your problem to solve or someone else's. Most of the time you have to fight to prove it too!

5 - Don't know much about CNC work, but I think giving your background it that would be a step down, I don't think you'd use your existing education.

My organization could use a strong IT background person. I'm a hack at it and have a good feel for it, but my solutions aren't the most polished or efficient due to my lack of formal IT education.

In my experience, employers want people with specific experience. You may get lucky and find a company that will take on an apprentice.

Here's my two cents, I agree with Paully's5.0, you might find a company that will take on an apprentice, but dont count on it.

1. If you want to earn large money I have determined you need a degree but you do not need one to get into the field. Consider the many ways to do that - controls panel builder, industrial electrician who also troubleshoots PLC's, or offer to do some side work for a small shop for little or nothing to get your foot in the door.

2. Go to school to learn the basics, continue to self-study and after that seek like a mad man an opp to get your foot in the door. Begin to know the decision makers in your area by name and let them know who and what your are.

3. Continue to find online and offline resources to learn (like this site) because you will only learn a limited amount until you get some experience. These guys are a GREAT resource as I am beginning to appreciate.

4. Regarding your experience as Paully's5.0 mentioned above I believe as you learn more about integrating systems (robots, PLC's, DCS etc) the more valuable your past experience will become. Because Information Technology and Engineering at any level appears in to be merging and is likely to continue with significant growth.

By the way I too have been taking stock with my experience and future (schooling) to position myself in this exciting industry. In addition I got into this industry by enrolling into an online course (electrical and computer technology)and applied to a panel building company (I brought 20yrs of manufacturing management experience with me) where I gained LOTS of hands on experience that was followed by my current position as a Service Tech (industrial electrician and PLC tech).

I will be transferring my online course to Purdue University come this January, in the mean time (while working on my degree) I will be taking additional training and gaining experience. Upon completion of my degree I should have 5 - 6 yrs experience around the country (I travel for my job) as well as a degree with yrs of continued education (seminars likely).

That should provide me with all the leverage I need to bargain for a top dollar position, I think.....(I hope, I hope, I hope....)

My point is your not alone my friend, good luck

Any thoughts anyone?

I agree with the above said. Personally i studied process Instrumentation. And started working in the field pulling cables calibrating instruments ect. Later on i added design to my skill-set and did control panel designs, loop drawings and all the associated documentation.

I believe this gave me a good understanding of the elements associated with the PLC's. Hands on training is the best experience you will ever gain. I never had the opportunities to go on PLC courses, by practicing on test benches and writing simulation software i got the necessary experience to start writing code for small plants.

Now it has reached a point where i only do control system software, and haven't seen a instrument or loop diagram for quite some time.

"Tinkerer" is the right word. I work on PLCs, but can put my hands on lots of other things, primarily instrumentation. Knowing where your signal comes and goes, from one end to the other, WILL help you understand how a PLC works, and how your program works.

Knowledgewise, there's tons of info to allow you to get to a position where you are "Mr. Know It All". I have considered starting a PLC 101 class in my area, where the basics are taught. You CAN and WILL be a programmer when you finish a PLC class, but you might be limited to turning on light bulbs and simpler projects. Tackling a production facility will be way beyond you.

Finding a job where the basics are plentiful, and the "smart guy" stuff is rare, would be your best bet. After a while, you'll reach a comfort zone that will allow you to try new and more exciting things. IT wise, there is a tendency in that direction, but out here in the good old Gulf of Mexico, there's plenty of PLC500's doing simple jobs all day long. No IT, no networks, no nothing. Not even an HMI! Switches and lights. I've looked like a freakin' genius after fixing some of the, to me, simple problems on those systems.

Anything related to industry. Electrical, mechanical courses are a must. Controls/Automation is a "Jack-of-all-trades" career. You have to know how to troubleshoot and identify when it's a programming issue, electrical, mechanical...etc. You're the last guy to make it all work, and you must identify when it's your problem to solve or someone else's. Most of the time you have to fight to prove it too!
....................grt...........things......

md.abdullah you are so right, I am the last guy to make it all work. I have to leave with the machine working perfectly (or as close as I can) So as an Industrial Electrician/Automation/Controls/Hydraulic Tech I have discovered you are most valuable to an employer when you can merge multiple skill sets together.

And I believe that someone who can find the right facility (research) and a mix of PLC, Electrical, AutoCad and Robotics can get an entry level job easy!

One wouldn't have to be an expert in any one area either. Just go to a couple of robotics programming courses I took Motoman (easy to learn) and have some Fanuc as well, get a student copy of AutoCad to play with and take a HIGH quality PLC seminar or 2 and start using Logixpro from The Learning Pit website (as an option) and your set.

This will mix well Dave9080 with your IT experience.

Oh and in regards to CNC training, I am near a mecca center for CNC in the medical field and my opinion is to steer clear unless your focus is to integrate systems. I can elaborate as to why but in the end its still my opinion.

Any thoughts?

📚 Iadapt:

Totally agreed. I also do Controls, which includes programming, troubleshooting, some high voltage electrical, although I have a master electrician working for me so I dont have to go there. Also do pneumatic, hydraulics, even though the mechanic at my facility has been there 20 years!! Go figure. They have no real idea how the controls work, just know when something breaks down, they call me. Point, I have been there for only 3+ years, and make quite a bit more then the fellow that has been there for over 20 years. AS a controls guru, we know it all, not bragging, just the facts maam.(y)

I'm taking the SAIT course right now. It's primarily focused on RSLogix 5000. To get the most out of it some experience in RSLogix 500 would be beneficial. I started in the trade last November and come from an electrical background. Process is something I'm having to learn as I learn programming because as has been said, you have to know what they REALLY need done and not just what they want done. My electrical has been invaluable in as i spend a good amount of time troubleshooting electrical problems that were blamed on the program. (programs don't change but they seem to refuse to believe it.) Your background would be a leg up in the comms part of the job which is one of the hardest aspects for me. Depending on your current income it may be a pay cut to start however. Are you looking to stay in Calgary or would you have any interest in relocating to say, Red Deer?

Thank you all. Some really good info here.

I think that will be the hardest part for me is transitioning from something I have been doing for so many years making $60k+ and then starting something new. I do understand that it will not take me to long to get back up there as my IT and electronics background should push me through quickly.

My Goal is to move back to BC. Calgary has amazing money, but I hate living here and with a 5 month old daughter now I want her to grow up in a smaller town.

I have been working on the training on this site and thinking of getting Logixpro to learn on. I think the hardest part is going to get my foot in the door.

Dave9080, you sound like you will do great in the field, and you will discover how your experience and opportunities will gel in due time. The biggest asset I find missing with many people new in any industry is they usually lack self-confidence.

Work diligently everyday on your goal, let everyone know what you want, (so they can pass the word and share opportunities with you) and feel confident that you will succeed and with this career choice you can!

Just realize there is a lot of diverse routes within this industry as I myself am learning so be prepared to try a few opportunities before you find the one that will work for you. All the great ideas from everyone listed above I know can carry you into a highly profitable career with no doubt. Good Luck.

Any thoughts anyone?

I understand being from Calgary, cold, cold, cold. I Worked and lived in Buffalo NY, loved it there, but when I moved to the south. Arkansas, The Beautiful Natural State, I started with the rail road and would never go back. There are controls positions starting to go in the states, just keep looking.