Anyone Playing w/Windows 8 yet?

Paullys50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just curious if anyone else is experimenting yet. I have a TechNet account so I have installed Windows 8 on a Virtual Machine, tossed on Office 2013 Preview and began to get familiar with the OS. My company tends to jump to new operating systems as they come out, so I expect by the end of the year to be running Windows 8.

Starting my experimentation with RSLogix5000, so far it's installed ok and seems to work. Have not done much programming with it yet.

Downer is you lose Windows XP Mode, only a concern for the fact that you don't have to worry about Window XP VM licensing, otherwise I don't see it as that big of a loss. Most organizations will have XP licensing of some form still available.

Anyway, I'm curious to impressions. At first I hated the lack of the start menu, but it's forced me to learn some more keyboard shortcuts which I'm grateful for. And swapping back and forth isn't as disruptive as I thought it would be. However I'm not running Windows 8 full time yet, just here and there when I can.

Discuss if you're jumping forward, or deathly afraid of another OS!!!!!

Not yet and have not had anyone ask if my products are compatible, I normally wait until the first service pack comes out, this way most of the major fixes are done so I would guess not until after the first of the year

Do you have a need for any of my cables? I would be glad to send you one for free to test... the drivers I use are pre-installed in Windows 7 so they are plug and play (hope the same for W8)

What version are you running (Pro, Home, Ultimate)

I only have access to a ControlLogix L73 and a couple of PLC5s at the site I'm working at. So I can test Ethernet, and I also have a 1756-DHRIO card, so I'll bridge through that to the PLC5s as well. Also have a 1784-U2DHP cable which I'll try the USB connectivity to the DH+ network at some point in the next few weeks. Nice to see you've got a cable adaptor to convert the U2DHP cable to PCM5, was a grip of mine that it wasn't included from AB considering the price of that cable!!

Other than that, don't think I'll need much more for cables otherwise I'd take you up on your cable offer.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro.

Last edited: