Deadman Switches

Tharon

I'm looking for a deadman switch, similar to those you find on robot controllers. Press in to enable, push too hard and it disables. But I'm looking for one that could be mounted to the end of a handle and activated by your thumb. I've searched through Schmersal and Jokab Safety and found handle style enablers, but they are actuated by a switch on the handle.

I'm sure it exists somewhere out there, do any of you know of a product or supplier I could search?

Thanks.

I've seen a catalog for a company called Euchner that makes thumb-activated enabling switches. (Enabling switch being the politically correct term for a 'dead man' switch).

Almost all of the one's I've seen are grip switches. I have to wonder why. Is it that its ergonomically harder to hold a thumb switch. Or is it easier to defeat. Or is there some other requirement. I honestly don't know.

Something to consider, before you start swimming upstream against the flow. You never stated why the requirement for a thumb-activated model.

The design called for a thumb activated enable switch since the this was a large thing they were moving around with the handles.

I agreed with the design because I felt if they were pushing and pulling with the handles that they would inadvertently enable or trip the switches.

They will push/pull this free floating device into position with the handles, then press the thumb switches to enable the device.

Edit:
Checking out Euchner's website, it seems their enabling switch selections may work for this. Thanks.

Last edited:
I found some nice small enabling switches from Idec. 16mm panel mounts, triggers, pushbuttons, etc. HE*B series switches (* = 1,2,3,4,5,6).

It was helpful knowing their true name. I've only ever referred to them as Dead Man switches. Thanks.