rslogix 5000

We have a problem with our malt mill where the main drive motor is randomly being turned on and off until eventually the thermistor overheats and shuts down the mill. Until now this mill has worked fine, with all the same inputs that it has now. To investigate we needed to check the program but when we tried to open the program we got a message saying the program was incompatible with the version of logix5000 that we have. I then downloaded the demo verion from rockwell and tried again, I got the same message but now I was asked if I wanted to convert the program to the correct version, which I did, then when I tried to open it I got the message that the name was invalid! Any ideas from the logix 5000 experts would be greatly appreciated as I have never used RSL5000 before

Thanks
Alex

You might have ratcheted yourself into a problem by "downloading the demo" as an upgrade. It's far better to actually have a support contract so you have access to ALL the versions of RSLogix 5000 software !

RSLogix 5000 is built so that you need the same major revision of editing software as the firmware installed in your controller.

You have two options now: upgrade your controller firmware to match the software installed on your PC, or change the software to match the installed controller.

RSLinx should be able to tell you what version of firmware your controller is running right now; right-click on the controller in any network browse view and select "device properties".

It's a time-worn phrase, but calling RA technical support or contacting your RA support office might be the best idea now, rather than depending on a public forum for guesses about getting into the controller that's running the process on which your production depends.

Using a logix controller on your brewery huh? Does the mill monitor hopper level or something to turn off and on or is it just a hmi driven motor? Just curious, im always interested in hearing about breweries and their control systems. Im converting my own little system (1/2 barrel (dont laugh)) to use RSView32 now myself. I also have Logix 5000, maybe I could assist you in examing the logic of the motor, or give you a print out or screen shots.